Other Considerations

ADA/Medical Needs

If you have a disability that may require special housing considerations, please submit a written description of your needs to the Assignment Office at assignMe@housing.wisc.edu when you are completing your contract for the University Residence Halls in My UW Housing.

You will also need to work with the McBurney Disability Resource Center regarding your University Housing accommodation needs.  We encourage you to learn more about becoming a McBurney Client. Please note, the Assignment Office does not collect or maintain medical documentation. Those materials should be sent to the McBurney Disability Resource Center.

Many of our residence halls are accessible to students with physical disabilities. Be sure to notify us if you need accommodations such as wheelchair accessible facilities, devices/alarms for hearing impairments, or special dietary needs. Early notification and complete information about your needs allows us to best assist you.

Air Conditioners

Residents with a confirmed medical need may request an air conditioner for their residence hall room at an additional charge. Students need to complete the following steps:

  • Complete the Air Conditioner Agreement Form
  • Chadbourne, Dejope, Leopold, Merit, Ogg, Phillips, and Smith Residence Halls have central air conditioning, and Sellery and Witte Residence Halls have air conditioning units installed in all resident rooms, so no Air Conditioner Agreement Form is needed for residents living in these halls
  • Send the completed form to our office at least two weeks prior to the residence halls opening; please do not send any medical documentation with this form
  • Charges will appear on a student's second quarter bill - do not send payment with your agreement form.

Gender Identity

Choosing a place to live is a very important decision, and our staff at the University of Wisconsin–Madison are committed to assisting you to see if the University Residence Halls will work for you. University Housing acknowledges that not all students may identify as female or male, and we want to create a welcoming environment for you in the residence halls. We would be happy to work with students who may identify as trans*gender, genderqueer, gender non-conforming, and/or non-binary regarding life in the halls.

Differently gendered and transgender students are encouraged to contact us as you consider your housing decision or if you would like to discuss any questions or issues related to your gender identity. Be sure to call prior to your contract deadline to discuss your options.

Director of Diversity Programs - Cleda Wang

LGBT Campus Center Director - Gabe Javier

You may also want to consider our Open House: Gender Learning Community or the Multicultural Learning Community.

Information for Student Veterans

The Division of University Housing is committed to serving the housing needs of our student veterans.

If you are considering University Residence Hall housing and would like to be placed together with other veterans, transfer students, or non first-year students, please contact one of our Coordinators for Assignments & Student Services at 608–262–2522 who can talk with you about your on-campus housing needs.

Additional support is also available through the UW-Madison offices of the Dean of Students:

Assistant Dean of Students-Veterans
608-890-2701 (voice)
608-265-5646 (fax)