Beginning the first day of classes, students can submit a room change request. Here are the easy steps to follow if you are interested in the room change process:
- Visit the Assignment Office in the lower level of Slichter Hall (Monday-Friday 7:45 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.). The Campus 80 bus has a stop at the corner of Babcock and Observatory.
- You have the option to complete a room change form for a single or a double room…or both!
- On the room change form, be sure to provide us with as much information as possible. Remember, the more hall options you give us, the quicker you will be able to move. If you are hoping to move into a specific room, make sure to bring this room number with you.
- Once we have a space available, which matches your card, we will send an email to your wisc.edu email account offering the room change. Be sure to let us know by the date listed if you want to accept the room change.
- If you accept the change, we will send you another email with room change instructions and the date by which you need to move. Typically, students are given three days to complete their move. If you decline the room change, your request will go back in the queue. If you reject two room change offers, your request is cancelled and you would need to fill out a new room change form.
- After you accept a room change and it is processed in our system, an email to the remaining student in the room will be sent. It is important for the remaining student to be prepared for facilities staff to come and check the space after you have left.
- Follow the room change instructions that were sent to you and make sure you move by the agreed upon date.
End of Semester Room Change
The last day to request a fall is typically the Friday before Thanksgiving. After this date, students can request for a room change to occur at the end of the fall semester or after their return in the spring semester.
For those interested in having an end of semester room change, you will need to complete the room change form as explained above. In addition to providing all of that information, you will also need to let the Assignment Office know when you will be leaving campus for winter break. All residents must vacate their rooms within 24 hours of their last final exam.
If you are able to receive an end of semester room change, you will need to move all of your belongings into your new room before you vacate campus for winter break if the new room is already available. If your new room will not be available by the date you are leaving campus, you must move all of your belongings into the storage space of your new hall, or take them with you once you leave campus so that your old room is empty and ready for a new resident.
Upon your return to campus for the spring semester, you will then be able to move all of your belongings into your new room if you were unable to do so prior to leaving campus for winter break.