The life of Llewellyn Cole was one continual seeking for the public good. A family physician to all, Dr. Cole sought shining health for University of Wisconsin students and likewise, through education, for every citizen within the State.
In character with this humane purpose is the 1927-28 year, which he spent as House Fellow in Gregory House at Tripp Hall. Here the young medical student - leader, counselor and friend - forwarded the social and intellectual health of Gregory residents.
Wisconsin granted the Clintonville native his B.A. degree in 1926 and his M.D. in 1929. Joined with the University's Student Health Department staff in 1931, he took over direction of that agency five years later.
The gifts which this gifted man spread so widely and so generously - warmth, exceptional attention to his young patients, and expert medical knowledge - very early endeared him to colleagues, students, and their grateful parents. A further wide regard was earned through the March of Medicine, a program of health talks broadcast over the State Radio Network, and through a health column appearing in the Wisconsin Agriculturist and Farmer.
No more lasting contribution was made by the professor of clinical medicine than the energetic program which he began for the Medical School in 1946 under a new title: Coordinator of Graduate Medical Education. This continues today in the many institutes offered by the school. Designed for the State's established practitioners, they bolster medical knowledge with the new and the old.
It was not a long life which Llewellyn Cole found, but therein was rich, selfless variety. Service on the Men's Halls Faculty Committee, given during his faculty years, was but one devotion. Now bearing his name, Cole Hall honors the beloved healer and all noble purposes of his choosing.