Get Help and Get Connected at the ResNet Info TablesDuring move-in week, ResNet technicians will be available at Info Tables around campus at various times and locations to assist you with registering and connecting your devices. Check out the ResNet Info Tables schedule!
ResNet Wired Data Service
ResNet provides each residence hall and university apartments resident with a 100/1000Mbps Fast Ethernet network connection in their room which allows them to connect to the campus network and Internet. Access to network resources is governed by an Appropriate Use Policy, and use of a connection indicates your acceptance of these conditions. This page contains instructions for connecting to the ResNet wired network. Visit the ResNet FAQ for answers to other ResNet questions.
Follow these steps to use the ResNet network in your room/apartment:
- Connect a Category5 or Category6 data cable to the network port on your computer and to the data jack in your room. The data jack will be either red or orange in color. If you need a data cable they are available for purchase at any Housing Dining Services convenience store, University Apartments Community Center, or DoIT Tech Store
- Turn on your computer and open your web browser. Your browser should be automatically redirected to the ResNet network registration page. If the registration page does not load automatically try typing the URL for a public web page (i.e. http://www.google.com) and you should be redirected to the network registration page
- Follow the instructions on the registration pages. Make sure to register all the devices you wish to connect before you register your computer because you can only access the registration page from an unregistered device that has a web browser. Refer to “Connecting Other Network Devices for help getting these connected.
a. Enter your campus assigned NetID and password at the login page as well as your preferred contact information.
i. If you are a registered student and you don't yet have your NetID, contact the campus help desk at 608-264-HELP or visit the NetID activation web page. You will need to provide your Wiscard student ID number in order to activate a NetID.
ii. University Apartment residents who don't yet have their NetID may register as a guest to gain access to ResNet.
- Registering a device on the ResNet Network implies acceptance of the Campus and ResNet Appropriate Use Policies.
- When the registration application indicates success please close and reopen your browser. You should now have full network access. Your network registration will be good for 365 days, at which time you will be prompted to go through the registration process once again. Your device’s registration will also dissolve after 120 days of inactivity.
Be sure to visit the Securing Your Computer page for additional information on keeping your computer safe and secure.
If you were unable to register your computer by following the steps above, please visit our Troubleshooting page.
Connecting Other Network Devices
If you have a game console, DVR or other similar network device that cannot be registered using a web browser, or if you are connecting through a personal router, switch, or wireless access point, please visit our other devices connection page.
ResNet Wireless Data Service
ResNet Wireless Service is available throughout all Housing areas, including resident rooms, lounges, dining rooms and study rooms.
Connecting to the ResNet Wireless Network
The ResNet Wireless Network is available for use by UW students, staff, faculty, and guests.
- Enable the wireless network adapter on your laptop or wireless device. You will see ResNet-Wireless on the list of available wireless networks. Connect to the ResNet-Wireless network.
- Once you are connected, open a web browser and you will be automatically redirected to the ResNet registration page. . If the registration page does not load automatically try typing the URL for a public web page (i.e. http://www.google.com) and you should be redirected to the network registration page.
- Follow the instructions on the registration pages.
Enter your campus-assigned NetID and password at the login page, as well as your preferred contact information.
- If you are a registered student and you don't yet have your NetID, contact the campus help desk at 608-264-HELP or visit the NetID activation web page. You will need to provide your Wiscard studentID number in order to activate a NetID.
- University Apartment residents who don't yet have their NetID may register their device as a guest using the third registration option. Registering a device on ResNet Wireless will indicate your agreement with ResNet and Campus Appropriate Use Policies.
Registering a device on the ResNet network implies acceptance of the Campus and ResNet Appropriate Use Policies