Residents must follow these safety guidelines when using outdoor grills at University Apartments:
- Grills cannot be used indoors, underneath an overhang, or on a fire rescue platform (balcony).
- Place your grill on the ground at least 10 feet away from the building.
- Pay attention to wind direction and strength before lighting a fire. Smoke may drift into neighbors’ windows, so please be considerate.
- Hot grills must be attended at all times. Keep in mind that the grill is still hot even after you remove your food and extinguish the coals.
- Keep children away from grills.
- Dump water on coals and then let them cool completely before disposing of them in dumpsters.
- Storing charcoal starter fluid inside buildings is not permitted; you may want to try self-starting charcoal, fire starter sticks, or a charcoal chimney.
- Madison fire codes state that propane tanks must be kept outdoors at all times.