The Resident Manager team is made up of seven staff members who live in the community. They have many responsibilities, but being on-call is what they are most known for, and is one of the largest parts of their job as RMs. You can reach the RM on-call (available 5:30pm-8am on weekdays and 24 hours on holidays) by calling or texting 608-444-9308. Due to reception concerns, texting is typically more reliable.
The RM on-call helps residents with a variety of issues while on-call including lockouts, emergency maintenance concerns, rentals at the Community Center, and answering questions. In the past year (May 2016-May 2017), they have responded to over 1200 calls and texts from residents! With that much experience, we’ve come up with a few tips and helpful hints we’d like to share.
To Reduce Kitchen Sink Clogs
Garbage Disposals (the thing in the sink that collects food particles and chops them up) are meant only for small particles of food, like crumbs from when you wash your dishes. Please place larger food in the garbage before running your disposal. It will run more effectively and be less likely to clog or back up into you or your neighbor’s apartments.
To Avoid Lockouts
- Always check that you have your keys when you leave your apartment!
- If you do realize that you have left your keys at home or in your office, try to make arrangements before you get home by calling your roommate (if you have one) to see if they will be home.
- If you cannot make other arrangements and the Community Center office is closed, call or text the RM on-call and they will meet you as soon as they can.
- During office Hours, you can come to the Community Center and we will lend you a spare key to your apartment.
- You will need to show ID to staff to be let in to your apartment or to get a spare key.
- It is worth noting that if UA Staff enter your apartment when you are not home (which we only do to fulfill maintenance requests or in emergencies), we will lock the door behind us. You should always lock your door, but even if you choose not to, we recommend that you take your keys in case we lock it for you
To Hear Less “Chirping”
Chirping is what happens when smoke or CO2 detector batteries go bad. We actually offer free batteries to residents at the Community Center. When you hear chirping, you can call an RM (after office hours) to come replace the battery; you could also get and keep one or two batteries at home so you can change them yourself as needed. Of course, if you don’t feel comfortable doing it or don’t know how to, please call us. We are happy to come help!
To Help Prevent a Maintenance Emergency
Let us know when things break by filling out an online form for routine repairs (like slow leaks or drips, broken blinds, bent curtain rods, loose cabinets, etc.) as soon as you notice it. This allows us to address it before it grows into a bigger problem. Fill out an online maintenance request form as soon as you see an issue.
If it is a maintenance emergency, like an overflowing sink, clogged toilet that you cannot plunge yourself, or a fire alarm sounding, please call us!
In addition to being on-call after hours and on-weekend, RMs also live in and serve specific areas of the community, which you can see below. You can contact your RM for non-urgent issues like:
- If you have an idea for a neighborhood or community event;
- Questions or concerns about parking, laundry, or quiet hours;
- Information about campus, the larger Madison community, etc.
To find out who the RM in your area is, refer to this chart:
|100s & 200s||Diamondfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|300s & 400s||Hosseinemail@example.com|
|500s & 600s||Alicjafirstname.lastname@example.org|
|700s & 800s||Ivanemail@example.com|
If it’s an issue that needs immediate attention between 5:30pm and 8am on weekdays and 24 hours on weekends and holidays, call or text the RM on-call at 608-444-9308.
When RMs are not on-call (M-F, 8am-5:30pm), staff in the Community Center can help too! You can stop by the Community Center office for assistance. We are open 7:45am-5:45 Monday-Friday, and later on Wednesdays until 7:45pm.
You can also call the office at 608-262-3407
Community Center staff can answer anything you might call an RM on-call for, and they can also help with:
- Lending you equipment like moving carts;
- Helping you acquire a Paid Parking Pass if you have an additional car;
- Putting in a work request;
- Suggesting fun events for you at the Community Center or around town;
- Getting you a battery for your smoke or CO2 detector;
- And any other questions you may have!
To summarize, the staff at University Apartments is here to help you! The Community Center is open Monday-Friday from 7:45am-5:45pm and until 7:45pm on Wednesdays. There is an RM on-call from 5:30pm-8:00am on weekdays, and 24 hours on weekends and holidays. Please let us know how we can help you.