Have you ever gone home for break and wanted to make your favorite dish from University Dining or you may even have found yourself craving the one dish you always get after hours while on campus? Having experienced this before ourselves, we can assume that you googled the recipe but your search was unsuccessful. With so many of our recipes created and customized daily at our Dining Units, it is difficult to find anything similar online. After getting many requests, we decided to share some of our in-house favorites with you.
Spicy Hawaiian Vegetarian Stir Fry
serves 4 when served over prepared rice
- 2 Tbsp. + 1tsp. Soy Sauce
- 2 Tbsp. + 1tsp. Fresh Lemon Juice
- 2¼ tsp. Honey
- 2 Tbsp. Sesame Oil
- 2 Tbsp. + ¼tsp. Cornstarch
- 5/8 tsp. Red Pepper Crushed
- ½ cup Water
Whisk together ingredient reserve for later use.
Stir Fry Vegetables and Fruit
1 cup Papaya- half inch dice, peeled, seeded, and cut into half inch dice
2 each Fresh Sweet Red Peppers- half inch diced remove seeds and stems
1 each Medium White onion- skinned and cut into half inch dice
¼ lb. Pineapple chunks- fresh cleaned or canned
1 each Mango- peeled, pitted and cut into half inch dice
1Tbsp. Minced Garlic
Cilantro – 6 Tbsp.
1 cup rice
Instructions for Preparing Rice
- Pour 1 1/2 cups of water into a large saucepan with tight-fitting lid.
- Add in 1 cup rice to water and bring to boil. Stir once and reduce to a simmer.
- Cover the pot and simmer for 19 minutes keeping tightly covered.
- Check for doneness water should be absorbed and rice should not be hard. Fluff rice with a fork.
- Add 2 Tbsp. Canola Oil to a large skillet or wok. Heat oil in pan on medium high heat.
- Add the Red Pepper Chunks and cook for one minute add onion and garlic cook additional minute.
- Add the papaya, mango, and pineapple to the mixture and cook until the fruit is heated through or reaches 165 degrees Fahrenheit when tempt with a food thermometer.
- Add the Soy Sauce mixture to the stir fry.
- Allow the mixture to cook until the sauce is thickened (about 2-3minutes or until it becomes clear not cloudy).
- Divide rice evenly between the four plates and serve one fourth of the stir fry over each portion of rice. Garnish with sprinkle of Cilantro and serve.