Oleksy Joins Residence Life in UW-Madison University Housing

In July 2018, Sarah Oleksy joined the Division of University Housing at the University of Wisconsin-Madison as the new Director of Residence Life. Prior to coming to UW-Madison, Oleksy served for four years as Director of Residence Life at Ohio University in Athens, Ohio, where she was responsible for all residence life functions for almost 8,000 students across 43 residence halls. She also previously worked for ten years at the University of Central Florida in residence life.

“I had an opportunity to serve as a Graduate Hall Director at Western Michigan University, which is when I first discovered how much I enjoyed working with student staff and students within the residence halls,” Oleksy recalls. “As my career continued on, I’m really proud of the universities and organizations that I’ve been a part of and the great things we accomplished for students and staff.”

At UW-Madison, Oleksy will oversee all aspects of Residence Life, including programming, academics, House Fellows, conduct, learning communities, and desk operations. “It’s a really exciting opportunity to connect with students and staff, and to help provide a supportive and inclusive community,” Oleksy says. “UW-Madison has an obvious commitment to helping students succeed and learn, which makes this a great place to be.”

Oleksy comes into a program that works with over 7,500 undergraduate residents living across 19 residence halls and 10 learning communities. “With that many students living together in buildings that are full, it’s really important to set students up for success by providing support, fostering good relationships, and working through conflicts effectively,” says Oleksy. “I think living on campus is a wonderful chance to learn all kinds of new things about yourself, all while living with and around a community of peers.”

To learn more about University Residence Halls at UW-Madison, visit https://www.housing.wisc.edu/residence-halls/

Article by Brendon Dybdahl