New Faces at University Apartments – November 2019

Michael Davis
Resident Manager, Eagle Heights 700s-800s

Hi, everyone! My name is Michael Davis and I am a new resident manager for the 700s and 800s. I am originally from Ohio and have lived in Madison for the past five years. Before coming to Madison, I attended the University of Akron (Akron is the birthplace of the greatest NBA basketball player whoever walked the earth—ha-ha) where I received a B.A. in English with a focus on Black literature and language. I also begin to do liberation-centered community work in Akron.

What brought me to Wisconsin all the way from Ohio? I moved to Madison to pursue an M.A. in Afro-American studies alongside my wife. After finishing my M.A., I decided to pursue a Ph.D. in Educational Policy Studies. My work focuses on the how education is taken up within community-based organizations that center Black communities, organizing, and activism. I am dedicated to larger projects that are aimed at conceptualizing and actualizing justice and liberation. I work with several entities on and off campus including the Freedom, Inc., the P.O.W.E.R collective, and Mobilizing Youth Voices which all strive to serve their communities through social/political action, education, love, resistance, and much more.

I have worked in several residential roles and have thoroughly enjoyed and appreciated the connections in the community I have made with so many people. I am excited to meet new people and build new relationships! I am always a resource along with the rest of the University Housing family.

I enjoy playing the piano, reading, working with young people, hanging out with friends, spending time with my wife and family, a new pair of shoes, shooting hoops (please join me on Wednesdays evenings in the Eagle Heights Gymnasium for basketball night!), and again meeting new people.

Jeff Kirchman PortraitJeff Kirchman
UWPD Community Officer

Some may have noticed a new face in the University Apartments Community Police Officer space, located in the University Apartments Community Center. Officer Jeff Kirchman recently stepped in as the interim community officer while current Community Officer Brad Davis recovers from an off-duty injury. Officer Davis is well on the road to recovery, and well-wishers can find him most days hobbling around the UW-Madison Police Station on light-duty status.

Officer Kirchman joined UWPD close to two years ago. Before that, he served as a police officer for over 16 years in the Madison area communities of Shorewood Hills and Maple Bluff. He makes his transition to community officer from a day-shift patrol officer position.

Asked about his shift in responsibilities, Officer Kirchman said, “I’m really excited to settle in to my new position, even if it is temporary. I view the community officer as a communicator, facilitator, and mediator. To that end, I hope to ease the two-way flow of information between the police department and the community, to be a convenient and responsive resource for University Apartments residents, and staff, and to mitigate conflicts early so they don’t spiral into more challenging situations.”

Officer Kirchman’s switch from patrol officer to community officer began Oct. 1. He also serves as a liaison officer for the campus natural areas, including the Lakeshore Nature Preserve and Arboretum.

Contact Officer Kirchman at 608-265-5717 or jkirchman@wisc.edu.

Alayna Oby
Resident Manager, Eagle Heights 900s

Hello, I am Alayna Oby and I am excited to be your new resident manager at the 900s in Eagle Heights. I am a fourth-year doctoral student in the Department of Counseling Psychology and a continuing resident of Eagle Heights. I am a Wisconsinite through and through, and have earned a bachelor’s degree from Marquette University and a Master’s Degree in Social Work from UW-Milwaukee. In my spare time, I enjoy the great outdoors and traveling to immerse in new cultural experiences. I am pleased to be a part of the staff and serve as a resource to you for your community and housing needs!