As another semester wraps up, we know many of you will be spending some time away from campus.
IF YOU ARE LEAVING YOUR APARTMENT FOR PART OF WINTER BREAK:
- Double check to make sure the alarm on your clock is off.
- Consider contacting the post office to hold your mail if you will be gone more than a few days; you can do this on-line at www.usps.com. Mail can be held from 3 to 30 days.
- Take out the garbage and any perishable foods that could spoil while you are away.
- Consider having a neighbor or friend check on your apartment, water plants, feed your fish, remove flyers, etc. University Apartments staff cannot let people in your apartment who are not on the lease, so arrangements for a key are between you and your neighbor or friend.
- If you let UA staff know when you will be gone, if there is a severe cold period, we are happy to go and check on your apartment to inspect for burst pipes. Please e-mail us: email@example.com or call 608-262-2037. Please provide us the dates you will be away.
- Move any valuable items (books, electronic equipment, etc.) off the floor to prevent water damage in case of a burst pipe due to freezing temperatures.
- If you have an individual thermostat, turn your heat down to 68 degrees.
- Close and latch all your windows. Close any window shades or drapes.
- Lock your doors.
- Make arrangements to pay your January rent.
- Remember that post-dated checks are not held and will be processed when received.
- Remember that the campus bus routes are not in service on Dec. 24, 25, 31, or Jan. 1. Campus routes also operate on a “recess schedule” over the winter break which means the bus runs less frequently. Please keep this in mind when making travel arrangements. Bus routes and schedule details can be found at www.cityofmadison.com/metro.
Good luck on final exams and projects and enjoy the winter break!