This week, some restrictions in University Residence Halls will be eased, due to improved COVID-19 test results during the past two-week period. We made progress in decreasing cases because of the limited interactions with others. In order to keep our cases low and avoid another increase in transmission, we need all residents to continue to limit their interactions. We do not want to have to reinstate or return to additional restrictions.
It’s important to note that this is not the end of COVID-19 restrictions. Our ability to avoid further quarantine of any residence halls or even closing them, depends on our residents following public health guidelines and behavioral requirements (listed below) for the safety of our Badger community. Enforcement of these standards will be continued through the end of the semester.
For those students who feel that these public health guidelines and behavioral requirements are too stringent for you to follow, University Housing will accept contract cancellations through the My UW Housing portal and will return prorated housing funds and unused dining funds. As we continue to closely monitor test data from the residence halls, students may be asked to move rooms in order to decrease density.
Violations of any COVID-related behavioral requirements may result in removal of students from their residence hall and revocation of their Housing contract with no refund.
Key Updates for All Residents
- Visitor Policy: Students may not visit residence halls other than their own. Students in resident areas must be residents of that hall. Visitors from other residence halls or off-campus are not allowed. Each room owner may have up to one visitor from their residence hall in the room. ID checking will continue in our higher-population buildings.
- COVID-19 Testing: Starting the week of 9/28, all residents will be tested weekly. This more aggressive testing plan will allow us to identify cases and areas of concern more quickly. More details and scheduling will be shared soon.
- Dining: Dine-in seating will resume starting 9/25 in all Housing dining markets with limited capacity. Gordon will reopen to all Housing residents on 9/24.
- Sellery and Witte Quarantine: Starting 9/23 at 8:00 a.m., Housing has been cleared to lift the two-week quarantine on Sellery and Witte. Sellery and Witte residents are receiving additional details.
- Sellery Renovation: Construction work will resume on 9/28.
- Wear face coverings at all times except when in their room with the door closed, including outdoor spaces.
- Maintain 6-feet distance from others, including outdoors and in common areas such as hallways, lounges, and bathrooms.
- No visitors from off-campus or other residence halls.
- Monitor for symptoms of COVID-19.
- Comply with required COVID-19 surveillance testing.
- Residents may only visit other resident rooms within their own hall.
- Room owner may only have one visitor in their room at a time. If both roommates are present, each can have a visitor for a total of 4 people in the room.
- Residents may leave the building freely, but they may be required to have their ID checked upon entering to ensure no one enters that is not a resident of that hall.