Get to Know Housing Staff: Clay Dilley

What is your name and how long have you been in your current position?

My name is Clay Dilley, and I have been in my current position for just over 3 years.

What is your current role in University Housing?

I am the Desk Services Coordinator for Residence Life.

How long have you been with University Housing? Other positions on campus?

This is the only University Housing position I have held, so just over 3 years. I previously worked for the UW-Madison Athletic Ticket Office for 4 years during my undergrad, and continued to work there full time for 2 years after graduating.

What do you do on a typical day in your job?

My job changes a lot day to day, which is fun. I have the pleasure of working with an amazing team of student staff members in Desk Services. I supervise the student Desk Supervisors, and I get to help them manage their desks, track down keys and packages, and problem solve the various issues that are brought to a front desk’s attention! I also serve as a conduct hearing officer for residence life, so I have a lot of great and meaningful conversations with residents.

What’s your favorite thing about working with students who are living on campus?

My favorite part about working with our students is that they inspire me all the time, and I also get to help them grow. Having been an undergrad at UW-Madison, I definitely have some insight into what they are going through with classes and the campus environment, so I feel I am able to offer perspective. The student staff members I work with are incredible and take on a lot of responsibility, and it is just fun to see them succeed in their roles.

What is a past work accomplishment that you’re proud of?

I would say rolling with the punches of the pandemic and working effectively with many staff members from different parts of Housing to help make the halls as safe as they can be this past year. I’m proud of cultivating an environment where the student staff feel safe and comfortable coming to work during a very difficult time.

What is a secret talent that your co-workers may not know about?

I am a pretty good archer. My dad is a huge hunter and had me and my brother shooting a bow at a very young age.

Where did you grow up?

I grew up not far from Madison in Cross Plains, Wisconsin, and I attended Middleton High School.

Where is your favorite place in the world?

Hard to choose, but I think Lambeau Field. I was raised on the Packers, and I have a lot of great memories with family and friends there.

What are you passionate about?

I have always been passionate about sports, video games, and animals.

What is your favorite TV show, movie, or book?

The Way of Kings is a fantastic novel that people should check out if they enjoyed the A Song of Ice and Fire series.

What is your favorite family/home tradition?

Playing card games with my family – euchre, poker, blackjack, etc.

If you would like to see one of your coworkers featured in a future issue, email marketing@housing.wisc.edu with your coworker’s name and their supervisor’s name.