Get to Know Housing Staff: Mark Gauthier

Mark Gauthier - portraitWhat is your name and how long have you been in your current position?

My name is Mark Gauthier. I have been a Dining and Culinary Services Unit Manager for 16 years.

What is your current role in University Housing?

Currently, I am the Unit Manager of the Starbucks, located in Smith Hall.

How long have you been with University Housing? Other positions on campus?

I have been with Housing for 17 years.  I have worked either directly or indirectly with all of the dining facilities on campus during that time.

What do you do on a typical day in your job?

As a Unit Manager, it is our job to make sure each Unit is operating completely, efficiently and correctly for every shift.  We work with our full time and student staff to make sure we are providing the best possible experience for our resident and non-resident guests.

What’s your favorite thing about working with students who are living on campus?

Actually, it’s the annual turnover.  Having almost an entire new staff every year allows us to regroup, retrain and refresh.  It keeps things from getting stale.  We are always able to learn and teach new things to a fresh group of students year-in and year-out.

What is a past work accomplishment that you’re proud of?

Much like with the experience of opening the new Starbucks, I was the first Unit Manager to open and operate Four Lakes Market in 2012.  In this industry, you don’t often get a chance to open and start a brand new facility from the ground-up, let alone two!

What is a secret talent that your co-workers may not know about?

I was once a professional rodeo clown (for a very, very short time).

Where did you grow up?

Waukesha, WI

Where is your favorite place in the world?

Tahiti – retirement goal!

What are you passionate about?

My family and my career.

What is your favorite TV show, movie, or book?

Movie is The Godfather.  Book is anything by Stephen King or Tom Clancy

What is your favorite family/home tradition?

Anything to do with the Holiday season – decorating with my kids, the large family gatherings and huge shared meals.

If you would like to see one of your coworkers featured in a future issue, email marketing@housing.wisc.edu with your coworker’s name and their supervisor’s name.