Get to Know Housing Staff: Nicolas Munoz-Montoya

What is your name and how long have you been in your current position?

My name is Nicolas Fernando Munoz-Montoya.

What is your current role in University Housing?

I’m a Custodian in University Housing, specifically in Conover House in the SHACK unit.

How long have you been with University Housing? Other positions on campus?

7 years and 3 months. I have been in the same position on campus.

What do you do on a typical day in your job?

Many, many things. We have a regular schedule in the students’ houses, specifically the maintenance and cleaning of common areas, and there are different things to do for the season. “The goal is for students to feel at home.”

What’s your favorite thing about working with students who are living on campus?

They are very friendly and respectful, and it gives me peace of mind and confidence in my work when they say, “Nicolas, thank you for everything you do”.

What is a past work accomplishment that you’re proud of?

There are many things, but having implemented a system for summer work has been important and my unit has assimilated and implemented it. “Dry phase and wet phase” — they know what I’m talking about.

Where did you grow up?

I grew up in Medellin, Colombia.

Where is your favorite place in the world?

My home in Medellin, Colombia and a historical place in Peru, South America: Machu Picchu.

What are you passionate about?

My passion is the protection and care of my family all the time. My energy is always dedicated to that. “The family is the most important.”

What is your favorite TV show, movie, or book?

Movie: Gone with the Wind
Book: “Papillon”
TV Show: Documentaries about nature and cosmology

What is your favorite family/home tradition?

Christmas parties and the traditional celebration of “The Christmas Novena”. It is a religious tradition.

If you would like to see one of your coworkers featured in a future issue, email marketing@housing.wisc.edu with your coworker’s name and their supervisor’s name.