Get to Know Housing Staff: Greg Jones

Greg Jones PortraitWhat is your name and how long have you been in your current position?

My name is Greg Jones. I have been in my current Custodial/Maintenance role for 9.5 years now with University Housing.

What is your current role in University Housing?

I am a 2nd Shift Custodian for Housing.

What do you do on a typical day in your job?

On a typical day, I go to all the different areas of University Housing that I am responsible for to be cleaned. I also take calls from the front desk, House Fellows, or from my Supervisor with additional needs.

What’s your favorite thing about working with students who are living on campus?

The things I love most about working with students on campus is the interaction with them. I like to establish a relationship with them and create a sense of comfort, humor, & caring.  I enjoy conversing about where they are from, what they are going to school for, interests, understanding their culture, (as there are many), and watching their growth while attending college life.

What is a past work accomplishment that you’re proud of?

One of my proud work accomplishments is how I have become comfortable with communicating with students, as well as parents and families in creating bonds, comfort and family-like relationships.

What is a secret talent that your co-workers may not know about?

My secret talent is my fun humor and personality once I am in my comfort zone.

Where did you grow up?

I grew up in Prairie Du Chien, Wisconsin.

Where is your favorite place in the world?

My favorite place in the world is outside in the wilderness, especially with family.

What are you passionate about?

I’m most passionate about spending time with my family, doing outside activities & hunting together.

What is your favorite TV show, movie, or book?

My favorite moves are old westerns and action packed movies.

What is your favorite family/home tradition?

My favorite family traditions are holiday gatherings and yearly hunting outings with my kids & grandkids.

If you would like to see one of your coworkers featured in a future issue, email marketing@housing.wisc.edu with your coworker’s name and their supervisor’s name.