Get to Know Housing Staff: Joe Briggs

Portrait of Joe Briggs

What is your name and how long have you been in your current position?

My name is Joe Briggs. I have been in my current role for just over a year now.

What is your current role in University Housing?

I am the Building Supervisor for the Tripp, Adams, & Slichter area.

How long have you been with University Housing? Other positions on campus?

I started off working third shift for Housing as an Assistant Building Supervisor four and a half years ago. I became the third shift Building Supervisor and then moved over to my current role.

What do you do on a typical day in your job?

I do office work in the morning and then I am usually out and about helping with trouble situations and making sure our team has everything they need to provide our residents with the best service possible. Tripp and Adams do not have elevators, so I get my steps in.

What’s your favorite thing about working with students who are living on campus?

My favorite thing is watching our students develop skills while working in Housing that they may not get straight from the classroom and knowing that those skills will help them in their future careers.

What is a past work accomplishment that you’re proud of?

I’m proud of when we worked together as a team to create and implement a major floorcare project at Liz Waters that took a whole summer to complete.

What is a secret talent that your co-workers may not know about?

I write poetry. I have about twenty published poems.

Where did you grow up?

I was born in Flagstaff, Arizona, but I have spent a majority of my life in Wisconsin. I am a Sconnie.

Where is your favorite place in the world?

The Grand Canyon is my favorite place. I have hiked it a few times. It leaves me speechless every time.

What are you passionate about?

I’m passionate about my family. I have two daughters, Willa and Clove, as well as my wife, Hannah, that mean the world to me. I also love cooking and hiking.

What is your favorite TV show, movie, or book?

The TV show Lost is my favorite.

What is your favorite family/home tradition?

My favorite tradition is summer camping. My mom started it with me and now I like to go out with my family every year.

If you would like to see one of your coworkers featured in a future issue, email marketing@housing.wisc.edu with your coworker’s name and their supervisor’s name.