There have been reports from Division of University Housing employees that they have received scam attempts targeting their Department of Workforce Development (DWD) unemployment accounts. These attempts can come in a variety of forms, most recently in the form of a text message to personal cell phones.
Example images of recent scam texts:
How to tell if a message from DWD is official:
- Look for misspellings and what the full website address is. Misspellings are very common in fraudulent things. Look thoroughly, though. They can be hard to find.
- Official text messages from DWD provide the my.unemployment.wisconsin.gov web address.
- DWD does not send text messages to claimants to notify them that their profile or claim will be deactivated.
- Any official text messages from DWD notify the claimant to log on to their Claimant Portal at my.unemployment.wisconsin.gov to view any messages securely.
- Do NOT click on links, enter your user information, or provide any information to suspicious websites or spoofed messages.
More information on potential scam attempts is available on the DWD website.