Get to Know Housing Staff: Dan Smith

Dan Smith portraitWhat is your name and how long have you been in your current position?

I’m Dan Smith, and I’ve been here just shy of 18 years.

What is your current role in University Housing?

I’m a Painter at Lakeshore, specifically in Bradley, Phillips, and Dejope.

How long have you been with University Housing? Other campus positions?

It’s been all Housing, all the time, for me. First, I was an LTE here in the mid-nineties, with a brief LTE stint at Physical Plant, before starting here full-time.

What do you do on a typical day in your job?

A typical day for a painter includes some “tender loving care” repairs of our beloved Res Halls, and then a new coat of paint to brighten them up. In Dining, too; for me, that’s at Four Lakes Market.

What’s your favorite thing about working with students who are living on campus?

My favorite thing about working in student areas is how much they appreciate what we do, and they always let us know!

What is a past work accomplishment that you’re proud of?

A past work accomplishment I’m proud of is driving a COVID van in 2020. I was able to give help and encouragement to our residents daily. It’s a simple thing, really, to give someone a ride, but every single rider thanked me for going out of my way for them in a difficult time, which gave that work a greater importance – and it was a thank you to Housing, not only to a driver.

What is a secret talent that your co-workers may not know about?

I like to play piano.

Where did you grow up?

I grew up in Poynette, WI (population 1009), and now I live in Pardeeville, WI (population 2009).

Where is your favorite place in the world?

Door County, Wisconsin.

What are you passionate about?

I’m passionate about birds.

What is your favorite TV show, movie, or book?

TV Show: Star Trek TOS Season 1 Episode 18. Book: Pride and Prejudice. Movie: Star Wars Episode 4, A New Hope.

What is your favorite family/home tradition?

My favorite family tradition is celebrating Smith family Christmas.

If you would like to see one of your coworkers featured in a future issue, email marketing@housing.wisc.edu with your coworker’s name and their supervisor’s name.