Get to Know Housing Staff: Svetlin Borisov

Svetlin Borisov portraitWhat is your name and how long have you been in your current position?

I’m Svetlin Borisov, and I have been in my current role for four years.

What is your current role in University Housing?

I’m the Project Manager and Safety Coordinator at University Apartments (UA).

How long have you been with University Housing? Other campus positions?

I started in Housing in 2015 as the Maintenance Supervisor at UA.

What do you do on a typical day in your job?

I help our residents, staff, and vendors succeed in what they do. I also manage the projects at University Apartments, University Apartments Fleet, and the Safety program for the department.

What’s your favorite thing about working with students who are living on campus?

I like the diversity. I meet people from all over the world and I see many of them grow as individuals, professionals, and sometimes parents, and I am glad I can contribute to their positive experience and growth professionally and personally.

What is a past work accomplishment that you’re proud of?

I take pride in everything I do, so there are a lot of accomplishments in my almost 20 year career. To highlight some – I prototyped a chiller system to run on city water while refurbishing its cooling tower in the heart of Madison, right on the square. I have managed the construction of many of the outfits in the East and West Towne Mall, including the Cheesecake Factory store which was with a record high construction cost at the time. At UW, I was able to replace all incandescent light bulbs in University Apartments at no cost for our residents (with the help of a Focus on Energy rebate) and provide electric charging stations for our residents at 3 locations in Eagle Heights at no cost, but mostly I am proud of the teams I have had the pleasure to develop and help them grow as professionals.

What is a secret talent that your co-workers may not know about?

I like to write. Lyrics and poetry are more common, but I have also written scripts for live shows.

Where did you grow up?

I was born and raised up in Nova Zagora, Bulgaria, but grew up around the world. I have lived (as an adult) in Budapest (Hungary), Copenhagen (Denmark), Sofia (Bulgaria), and now Madison, WI. All those places have helped shape me into a the person and  professional I am today.

Where is your favorite place in the world?

The beach!

What are you passionate about?

I am passionate about teaching, educating, and helping people succeed.

What is your favorite TV show, movie, or book?

My favorite book is There Isn’t Such a Book. It is an interesting read by Lubomir Stanev. It’s a very sarcastic, funny, and sad read at the same time.

What is your favorite family/home tradition?

My favorite tradition is spending quality time with the family, regardless of place or time.

If you would like to see one of your coworkers featured in a future issue, email marketing@housing.wisc.edu with your coworker’s name and their supervisor’s name.