Get to Know Housing Staff: Sarah Barnes

Sarah Barnes portraitWhat is your name and how long have you been in your current position?

My name is Sarah Barnes, and I’ve been in this position for 7 years.

What is your current role in University Housing?

I am a Marketing Specialist.

How long have you been with University Housing? Other campus positions?

I’ve been with Housing 7 years and have only been in this position on campus.

What do you do on a typical day in your job?

I help departments within the Division with their marketing & communication needs. This could mean crafting social media content, food photo shoots for Dining, updating the Housing website, creating designs for student employment recruitment, or managing and writing scripts for livestreams.

What’s your favorite thing about working with students who are living on campus?

Their energy and innovation. They always have a fresh perspective to share!

What is a past work accomplishment that you’re proud of?

I’m proud of the #LiveWithBucky Live livestreams. It’s been amazing to see all my colleagues come together to help stay connected with parents & residents. I have also enjoyed working on the launch of the Starship Robot program with Dining! How cool is it that we offer this feature to campus?

What is a secret talent that your co-workers may not know about?

I love to needle point, adore a good karaoke joint, and can speak pretty good conversational Norwegian.

Where did you grow up?

Stoughton, WI

Where is your favorite place in the world?

We have a cabin on the lake in northern WI. It’s so peaceful and relaxing.

What are you passionate about?

I am passionate about women empowerment, access to behavioral/mental health resources, and trying new and delicious local food!

What is your favorite TV show, movie, or book?

My favorite book is The Shining by Stephen King, favorite TV show is Bones, and my favorite movie is Back to the Future Trilogy.

What is your favorite family/home tradition?

Anything around the holidays – baking, music, wrapping gifts, decorating, sledding, and making snowmen.

If you would like to see one of your coworkers featured in a future issue, email marketing@housing.wisc.edu with your coworker’s name and their supervisor’s name.