Get to Know Housing Staff: Joe McConkey

Casual portrait of Joe McConkeyWhat is your name and how long have you been in your current position?

My name is Joe McConkey, and I have been working for Housing for about four years and have been in my current position for about a year.

What is your current role in University Housing?

My current role in University Housing is Assistant Building Supervisor at Chadbourne and Barnard Hall.

How long have you been with University Housing? Other positions on campus?

I have been with University Housing for about 4 years. I started as a student custodian, became a student supervisor, then a full time custodian, and then a custodian lead, and finally an Assistant Building Supervisor (ABS).

What do you do on a typical day in your job?

A typical day in my job consists of cleaning the first floor and basement of Chadbourne, assisting the custodial staff with any maintenance or special projects they need, and coordinating with other units and departments to ensure Chadbourne and Barnard are safe, clean, and operating at 100%.

What’s your favorite thing about working with students who are living on campus?

My favorite thing about working with students is the uniqueness and specialization between all of the students and any issues that may occur with them. You never know what needs to get done from day to day and that is exciting.

What is a past work accomplishment that you’re proud of?

A past work accomplishment that I am proud of would be working 12-hour days and weekends during every single move-in to help ease the load on my staff and fellow employees, as well as help make move-in run smoothly.

What is a secret talent that your co-workers may not know about?

I have never lost in left-handed arm wrestling.

Where did you grow up?

I grew up all over the country. My father was in the Air Force, so I have lived in Germany, Alaska, Montana, Colorado, Texas, Illinois, and Wisconsin.

Where is your favorite place in the world?

My favorite place in the world is a nice night in the middle of the woods in the heart of Alaska. It is the most serene, quiet and beautiful places on earth.

What are you passionate about?

I am passionate about my job and my family.

What is your favorite TV show, movie, or book?

My favorite book is To Kill a Mockingbird, favorite TV show is New Girl, and my favorite movie is A Star is Born.

What is your favorite family/home tradition?

My favorite family tradition is Thanksgiving dinner. My dad is a master with smoking meats and my mother used to own a successful bakery. There is nothing better than eating until you have to take a nap.

If you would like to see one of your coworkers featured in a future issue, email marketing@housing.wisc.edu with your coworker’s name and their supervisor’s name.