Get to Know Housing Staff: Pete Buscaino

Portrait of Pete BuscainoWhat is your name and how long have you been in your current position?

My name is Pete Buscaino and I have been the Desk Services Coordinator for a little over a month now.

What is your current role in University Housing?

I am the Desk Services Coordinator which means I help to oversee all of the desks in our Residence Halls.

How long have you been with University Housing? Other positions on campus?

I have been with University Housing for a little over a month. Prior to this position I held a temporary part-time position with The Office of Admissions & Recruitment.

What do you do on a typical day in your job?

So far my days have typically consisted of problem-solving and helping to develop the student staff, two of my favorite things!

What’s your favorite thing about working with students who are living on campus?

My favorite thing about getting to work with students who live on campus is getting to help shape their higher education experience in a positive way!

What is a past work accomplishment that you’re proud of?

In my previous position as Director of Baseball Operations at East Carolina University, our team was not only one of the best in the country athletically, but we were also at the top of Division I Baseball for Team GPA and Community Service Hours as well.

What is a secret talent that your co-workers may not know about?

I used to work on a shrimp boat in the summer as a kid and I am really good at making and repairing nets.

Where did you grow up?

Clearwater, FL

Where is your favorite place in the world?

I couldn’t say. I really enjoy being outside, and being outside with good people is even better.

What are you passionate about?

Leadership and helping to develop students!

What is your favorite TV show, movie, or book?

I love to read. I’m a huge fan of the Harry Potter series, I also really like Michael Crichton’s Jurassic Park, and Viktor Frankl’s Man’s Search For Meaning.

What is your favorite family/home tradition?

Eating black eyed peas on New Year’s Day each year!

If you would like to see one of your coworkers featured in a future issue, email marketing@housing.wisc.edu with your coworker’s name and their supervisor’s name.