Parking & Transit Accounts Available for 2022

What are these accounts?

  • Accounts available to employees who pay for parking or work-related vanpool or bus expenses out of pocket (not already payroll deducted from paychecks). Employees who already pay for on-campus base lot permits or bus passes are already receiving the pre-tax benefit and will not need one of these accounts.
  • With parking and transit accounts, you can have money deducted from your paycheck pre-tax and you can use that money to reimburse yourself for parking or transit costs that you pay out of pocket to commute to work.
  • You can enroll, change, or stop your participation in these accounts at any time (funds deposited in the accounts cannot be withdrawn for non-eligible expenses). If you were previously enrolled in either of these accounts, you may continue to use the funds available in your accounts for eligible expenses, until exhausted, or you become ineligible.
  • When you enroll in a Parking or Transit Account, you designate an annual contribution amount which is then divided into equal amounts per paycheck. These accounts have unlimited carryover, so there is minimal “use-it-or-lose-it” risk.

Parking Account

  • A Parking Account covers work-related parking expenses that aren’t paycheck deducted already such as parking ramps, flex parking payments, and park and ride costs. The monthly contribution limit for a Parking Account for 2022 is $270.
  • If you pay for a base lot parking permit on campus through payroll deduction, your costs are already deducted pre-tax and are not eligible for reimbursement from a Parking Account.
  • Flex parking or daily parking passes are not payroll deducted and are eligible for reimbursement from a Parking Account.

Transit Account

  • A Transit Account covers work-related commuting expenses such as public transit passes to and from work (for example: bus) and commuter highway vehicles (vanpools). The monthly contribution limit for a Transit Account for 2022 is $270.
  • You may have vanpool and bus pass deductions taken pre-tax from your paychecks already, in which case these are not eligible for reimbursement from a Transit Account.

How do I sign up?

  • Employees can start, change, or stop contributions to a transit or parking account at any time during the year.
  • Even if you are contributing to an account for 2021, you will need to re-enroll again for 2022.
  • If you want your deductions to begin on the first paycheck of 2022, you need to re-enroll no later than November 26, 2021. Enrollments completed in MyUW any time after that will take place on future paychecks.
  • To begin contributions with your first paycheck in January, enroll by November 26, 2021 through the MyUW portal. Follow the instructions provided in the Parking & Transit Enrollment Instructions.
  • The monthly contribution limit for parking and transit accounts is $270 ($3,240 annual contribution limit)

After I sign up, how do I file claims or use the money in my account?

  • If you enroll in a Parking Account you will receive a Payment Card. You can link this payment card number (like a credit card number) to the Park Mobile app on campus, or use it like a credit card for payments at gated parking lots. When used, payment will automatically be deducted from your Parking Account.
  • For both the Parking & Transit Accounts you may pay expenses out-of-pocket and then submit claims manually. To comply with IRS requirements, documentation is required to substantiate expenses to show they are eligible for reimbursement.
  • If you pay for your expenses out-of-pocket, there are several methods by which you may submit your claims manually for reimbursement.
    • Electronic Claims Submission
      • Mobile App: Allows you to access your account information wherever you are, 24/7/365. To download, visit the Apple App Store or Android Marketplace and search for “Optum Financial Mobile App” (the same app used for Medical or Dependent care Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA) and Health Savings Accounts (HSA).
      • Optum Financial / ConnectYourCare (CYC) Website: Follow the instructions on the main page to file your claim.
    • Paper Claims Submission
      • Complete the FSA Reimbursement Claim Form and submit it with substantiation to:
        • Mail: Claims Department, PO Box 622317, Orlando, FL 32862-2317
        • Fax: (443) 681-4602

For additional information go to the Parking & Transit Accounts web page.