Get to Know Housing Staff: Nicole Margenau

Casual portrait of Nicole MargenauWhat is your name and how long have you been in your current position?

My name is Nicole Margenau and I have been in my current position since July 2012.

What is your current role in University Housing?

I am a baker in Gordon Central Production for Dining and Culinary Services.

How long have you been with University Housing? Other positions on campus?

I’ve been with Dining/Housing for almost 10 years. I worked briefly as a chef in Gordon Avenue Market fall semester 2021.

What do you do on a typical day in your job?

I’m usually the first one to arrive in the bakery, so I’ll get our area started (turning on equipment, setting up work stations, etc.) before my co-workers join me. We’ll have a brief chat about how the rest of the previous day was, talk about that one TikTok we both saw, and decide who is doing what for the day.

What’s your favorite thing about working with students who are living on campus?

My favorite thing about working with students is getting to know them and try and have them enjoy working with us, and also feeling really old when some things get lost in translation and having to explain what MySpace was.

What is a past work accomplishment that you’re proud of?

I’ve helped develop a lot of recipes that we used to serve, currently serve and hope to serve in the future.

What is a secret talent that your co-workers may not know about?

I’ve performed and competed in various dance-related events throughout the Midwest and one in Canada.

Where did you grow up?

I was born and raised right here in Madison, WI. I have fond memories listening to Badger football games while my parents made my brother and I help them rake the yard.

Where is your favorite place in the world?

My favorite place in the world is Toronto, Ontario, Canada. I used to holiday there with my family and ran my most-recent marathon there back in 2019.

What are you passionate about?

Ask my co-workers, but I feel like I love and have passion for a lot of different things. I love auto-racing (specifically Formula One, Indycar and Sports Cars), baseball, working out (running and lifting heavy things, even though I don’t like to lift heavy things at work), and whenever I can, doing charity/donation-based bake sales.

What is your favorite TV show, movie, or book?

I love Harry Potter. I named my cat Professor Dumbelfur, so that says it all. I also appreciate busting out the random Wayne’s World or Lord of the Rings quote when appropriate.

What is your favorite family/home tradition?

My family and I celebrate Christmas so instead of having a Christmas-Eve dinner we have lots of appetizers and dip almost everything in cheese dip.

If you would like to see one of your coworkers featured in a future issue, email marketing@housing.wisc.edu with your coworker’s name and their supervisor’s name.