Getting Help After Sexual Violence

CONTENT WARNING: Mentions of Sexual Violence, help-seeking post-assault, and FAQs about the Forensic Nurse Exam process.

Hello, UW-Madison students,

My name is Kim Curran – my pronouns are she/her and I am a forensic nurse with DaneMac. We provide comprehensive post-assault healthcare for UW-Madison students of all identities at no cost at the UHS sexual health clinic which is located at the 6th floor Blue clinic. Many times people are unsure about what may have happened as a result of intoxication during the assault, we are here to support you and help if you are unsure about exactly what may have happened. We provide a variety of services and you can choose which services you would like to have. Some of these services include STI prevention and testing, emergency contraception, drug testing (if you are concerned about any unknown/unwanted substances consumed) injury assessment, evidence collection, and photographs. You as the patient are in control of what services you would like to access upon coming in for an appointment. And it is important to note that a police report is NOT required for evidence collection to take place.

Navigating resources after an unwanted experience or an experience you aren’t quite sure about is difficult and you should never have to go through it alone. An advocate will be present to be there to support you as little or as much of the process as you would like. They are completely confidential and there to answer your questions, support you through whatever options you may choose, and connect you with follow-up care as needed. Your choice and needs are central to our interactions and we will always work with you and the advocates or support people present to center you and your needs. As nurses, we are here to believe you, care for you, and to ensure that your body is ok. We strive to center you and your needs in our care. We are always happy to see you, even if you are not quite sure about what you are looking for – that is what we are here for!

There are two ways to schedule an appointment with one of our nurses:

  1. You can call the following number 608-852-9533 and speak with a UHS nurse and let them know that you would like to meet with an FNE nurse and they should be able to schedule a same-day appointment at a time that works best for you between 8 AM and 4 PM.
  2. You can also schedule online through the MyUHS app/website by selecting a student health appointment and then scheduling an unwanted sexual assault appointment

Situations like this are never something that you wanted or deserved to happen, but we are here for you if it does. We believe you. We care about you. And we are here to help. Please don’t hesitate to reach out.

Below are some FAQs:

What if I have changed/showered/bathed since the assault?

You are still eligible for services! Evidence collection is available up to 5 days after the assault, emergency contraception up to 5 days, STI testing, and injury assessment/resource connection at any point in time. There is no timeframe for your healing and we are here to support you when YOU are ready.

Will I have to pay for anything?

No, these services are free of charge to students and the costs of any associated medications will be covered by our services.

Will my records be stored in UHS?

No, the FNE records are kept completely confidential and separate from your UHS medical records.

What if I am not sure about reporting?

You don’t owe anyone a report. That is for you to decide on your own timeframe, we have advocates who are skilled in helping you navigate options. If you do decide to get evidence collected the State crime lab will store it for 9.5 years after your visit should you decide to pursue a criminal investigation. You can track your kit and its location with the help of the Wisconsin Sexual Assault Kit tracking system.

Do I have to get a genital exam?

No, you can decide which parts of the exam you want. You are encouraged and allowed to choose which parts of the process are best for you. We will support your decisions at all times.

Can I speak to someone beforehand?

Yes – you can call the nurse line at UHS (608-852-9533) and discuss your options with a nurse before coming in. Or call the RCC helpline at 608-251-7273.

Watch a video message from Kim Curran.