Each year, many students choose to #LiveWithBucky and return to live on campus again so they have more time for the things that matter to them, like studying, friends, and fun. University Housing will be offering a limited number of spaces (similar to this year’s returner numbers) to current residents for academic year 2023-2024. Our returning resident process allows current residents their first choice in selecting a room and roommates. Current residents will need to express their interest starting October 27 at 10 a.m., and if selected, will sign a binding contract during returning resident room selection. If demand exceeds our inventory of returning resident spaces, a waiting list will be started. Wait list status is not a guarantee of future on-campus housing.
Steps & Dates
Step 1: Notice of Intent & Roommate Selection
Open October 27 at 10:00 a.m. – November 6 at 11:55 p.m.
All residents are required to log in to My UW Housing and complete their Notice of Intent to let us know their housing plans for next fall. Students who complete their Notice of Intent by November 6 will be given a random number to determine if and when they will have access to select a room.
During this time, students can also connect with other current housing residents to create roommate groups (1–3 roommates), or they can go it alone! Residents can then look for available spaces in My UW Housing that might be of interest to them.
Note: completing the Notice of Intent does not oblige you to live in the University Residence Halls in 2023-24.
Step 2: Email Confirmation
By November 10
Residents will receive an email to their @wisc.edu email address which will either have a date and time when they’ll be able to access select a room in My UW Housing, or a notification that based on their randomly assigned number, we were not able to reach them and they’ll be placed on a waiting list.
Step 3: Room Selection
Starts November 15/16, 2022
Starting November 15/16, students will be allowed to select rooms starting at the time of their room selection time slot. If in a roommate group, the person with the earliest time can assign all members of their roommate group.
Step 4: Contract & Advance Payment
Once a resident has selected a room, they must sign their contract and pay an advance payment within 72 hours to secure their room. This step makes the contract a legally binding agreement where the resident is responsible for all housing charges for Academic Year 2023-24. University Housing does not allow students to cancel to live off campus.
Note: If a residents does not sign a contract and pay their advance payment within 72 hours of selecting a space, they may not have another opportunity to select a room. Not completing these steps within 72 hours will result in a resident being placed on the waiting list and another opportunity to select a space is not guaranteed. Wait list status is not a guarantee of future on-campus housing.
- UW-Madison students currently living off-campus are not eligible to live in University Housing in 2023-24
- Roommate requests for returning residents to live with an incoming first-year student will not be available
- Double room options will be limited in Dejope, Leopold, Ogg, and Smith Residence Halls, and other building and room type options could also be limited due to changes to capacity, programs, or staff
- After you have selected a room and signed a contract, room change requests will not be available until the returning resident room selection process ends
- If you do not sign a contract and pay your advance payment within 72 hours of selecting a space, you may not have another opportunity to select a room; not completing these steps within 72 hours will result in you being placed on the waiting list (another opportunity to select a space is not guaranteed)
Be sure to explore all your housing options for next year. Campus Area Housing is a good resource to look for available options in the Madison community and find potential roommates. If you have questions or want to discuss our various on-campus housing options, fill out our contact us form, and we’ll get back to you with an answer as soon as we can.