Just a reminder…If you intend to travel for an extended period of time during the break, please send travel notifications including your apartment number and letter, date leaving and expected return to: firstname.lastname@example.org In the event of maintenance emergencies, this helps our Facilities team know if there are apartments we may need to check on to avoid unexpected damages.
Please use the following checklist to help maintain your apartment while you are away:
- Be sure to turn off any alarm clocks you may have set in your apartment
- Place your mail on hold. You can request a mail hold online at https://www.usps.com/ Use the Quick Tools Tab and in the drop down select “Hold Mail”
- Take out the garbage and any perishable foods that could spoil while you are away.
- Consider giving an apartment key to a neighbor or friend to check on your apartment, water plants, feed your fish, etc. University Apartments staff will not let non-lease holders in your apartment, therefore arrangements for a key are between you and your designated person.
- If you are leaving a vehicle, consider leaving a car key with a friend or neighbor. In the event of an emergency (water main breaks, tree goes down, etc.), we may need to have vehicles moved.
- In the event of inclement weather, University Apartments staff may need to enter your apartment to inspect for frozen/burst pipes or to help prevent them. University Apartments staff will leave an orange notification tag on your door if they enter the apartment.
- Move any valuable items (books, electronic equipment, etc.) off the floor to prevent water damage in case of a burst pipe due to freezing temperatures.
- Do not set your thermostat lower than 65 degrees. Your apartment temperature does impact neighboring apartments.
- Completely close and lock all your windows. Pull down and close any window coverings you may have (shades, curtains, drapes, etc.)
- Lock your apartment door.
You can pay your rent online using a credit or debit card or an electronic check. When paying with a credit/debit card you will pay an additional 2.75% service fee. If you think you will be in an area where you will not have access to log into your UW Housing account to make the payment, please make arrangements to pay your rental balances before you leave. NOTE: Post-dated checks are not held and will be processed when received.
Campus bus routes operate on a “recess schedule” during winter break. In addition, the #80 bus will operate on a shortened weekend recess schedule with a final run from Memorial Union leaving at 5:24 p.m. December 24 and 25, 2022. Routes 81-84 will not run December 24, 25 and 31 as well as January 1 and 2, 2023. For the winter break recess schedule visit: https://www.cityofmadison.com/metro/routes-schedules/route-80. For a list of holiday route schedules visit: https://www.cityofmadison.com/metro/routes-schedules/holiday-schedules
Safe Travels and Enjoy!