Lease Renewal Time: What You Should Know

We hope to begin sending out lease renewal offers to all eligible residents in late February 2023. The lease year for Eagle Heights and University Houses ends on June 30, 2023, and the lease year for the Harvey Street Apartments ends on May 31, 2023.  When your lease renewal offer is available, you will be sent an email with the link to your online lease renewal in your My UW Housing portal. Please review the information and take the necessary steps to complete and accept your renewal offer, or decline the offer by the deadline.

As the end of your lease year approaches, you should begin to think about the following questions:

Will you be leaving University Apartments?  All residents who wish to terminate their lease before the end of their lease year must submit a completed Lease Termination form providing 90 days’ notice. If you plan to move out at the end of your lease year, please consider submitting to leasing a Lease Termination form. This is not required but can be helpful to both the resident leaving and our office. Please “Decline” your renewal offer if you plan to move out at the end of the lease year.

Are you graduating? If you are graduating, or if your UW affiliation will end at the end of the summer session, you can stay in University Apartments for the summer, but you should plan to move on or before August 31, 2023. You will need to renew your lease and then turn in a lease termination form as soon as you know your actual move date. Remember that you are responsible for providing the required 90 days’ notice to terminate your lease. 

If you live with a roommate – have the two of you discussed your plans? If one of you will be leaving, both roommates will need to complete a Roommate Release form. The remaining roommate would be eligible to remain in the apartment and to add an approved roommate in the future, by submitting a Roommate Add form. If both roommates will be leaving, a Lease Termination form should be submitted to the office.

Are you leaving Madison for the summer? If you are interested in subletting your apartment for the summer, you would need to have your potential sublessee approved in advance. You would need to fill out the Sublet Application and email it to

Are you interested in transferring to a different apartment? If you are interested in transferring to a different apartment you will want to submit a transfer application in your My UW Housing portal. You may want to consider transferring during the spring semester as convenience transfers for most apartment types are blocked between May 1 and September 30 to allow our turnover staff to concentrate on preparing as many apartments as possible for new residents before the start of the fall semester.

Questions or Concerns? – If you have any questions or concerns about renewing your lease, make sure to contact the Leasing Office at All forms and policies mentioned are available from the University Apartments Office in the Community Center, or our website at