September 25–October 20, 2023
The Annual Benefits Enrollment (ABE) period for 2023 runs from Monday, September 25–Friday, October 20. This is the only time of the year when you can make benefits changes unless you have a life event (marriage, birth of a child, divorce, employment change, etc.) that allows you to change your benefits. Changes made during this period will be effective January 1, 2024. More information can be found on the UW System Annual Benefits Enrollment page.
Important Dates to Know and Things to Plan For
Friday, October 20 at 4:30 pm is the deadline for insurance applications. They must be submitted online via your MyUW or received as an email attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org by 4:30 pm in order to qualify for 2024 benefits changes. We cannot accept late applications.
- If you email a paper application, do not include any Social Security Numbers on it. Instead, please call Housing Payroll at 608-262-2308 and leave a message with the numbers.
- We highly recommend you submit all emailed applications before Thursday, October 19 at 4:30 pm so that the Housing Payroll & Benefits team can review them before the final submission date.
- During ABE (and the rest of the year), please direct any payroll or benefits related emails to the Payroll inbox instead of directly emailing an individual. This helps them respond more efficiently and allows overall awareness in the department.
- During the Annual Benefits Enrollment period, check your wisc.edu email account for communication regarding benefits changes.
- Keep in mind that the items listed below must have action taken on in order to be active for 2024
- High Deductible Health Plan (HDHP) must have an accompanying Health Savings Account (HSA)
- the $2,000 Opt-Out Incentive
- Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA) for medical or dependent care must be renewed every year. Be sure to review the amount you are committing for the benefit year.
Employee Benefits & Resource Fair
There are multiple options for attending benefits resource sessions this year.
UW–Madison is offering an on-site Employee Resource Fair where employees can learn about benefits offerings. No pre-registration is required.
Tuesday, October 3
10 am-4 pm
Varsity Hall, Union South
Specific benefits seminars in the Marquee Theater at Union South
Benefits 2024: What You Need to Know
9:15–10:15am (before the fair)
Open lab will be available from 10am–4pm for assistance enrolling through Self Service (eBenefits) & is English only.
UW System is offering virtual Employee Benefits Fair sessions throughout ABE with different vendors offering webinar sessions at different times. You can register for and watch these sessions from your computer or smartphone.
You may attend these sessions during your regular work schedule by coordinating with your supervisors to ensure that needed coverage is maintained so all interested employees have an opportunity to attend sessions.
Cultural Linguistics Services (CLS) Benefits Seminars and Individual Meetings
Cultural Linguistics Services (CLS) sessions will be offered on Thursday, September 28th, from 9:30-11am at Gordon Dining & Event Center. All employees who utilize CLS language support services are encouraged to attend one of these sessions.
Individual Benefits Meetings with CLS
- Employees who indicated interest in having a meeting after the CLS supported group session on September 28th will have a meeting scheduled with HR through their Supervisor
- Currently, CLS does not have availability beyond this for individual employee benefits meetings.
- All meetings are limited to 30 minutes so staff need to come with specific questions. There will not be time to discuss everything that will be covered in the September 28th meetings. Employees need to have their NetID and Duo MFA ready for this appointment.
Making Benefits Changes – Resources & Help Available
- Use this link as a resource for supporting you through the ABE self-enrollment.
- As you work through your ABE event and you have questions or concerns, reach out to Housing Payroll at email@example.com or by phone at 608-262-2308.
- Please do not wait until the last day to make changes. We cannot view eBenefits updates until the following day, so we have no way of catching errors made on October 20.
- Housing benefits staff will again be able to offer English-speaking (non CLS supported) individual sessions. If you have additional questions, you can reach out to the University Housing Payroll Office. We will be offering 30-minute appointments to help with questions directly related to this annual benefit enrollment activity.
- Please come informed and ready to discuss your specific questions. Also, bring your NetID and have DUO/MFA set up. We are unable to provide an overview of all the ABE options in just 30 minutes. Benefit appointments can be made through the Sign Up Genius. Make sure you’re selecting the location labeled as “English ABE only – virtual”.