Leasing Spotlight: Transfers, Terminations, and Renewal Timeline

Red key line iconAre you interested in transferring to a different apartment?

If you are interested in transferring to a different apartment, you will want to submit a transfer application in your My UW Housing portal. The leasing team are currently prioritizing transfer applications when sending out lease offers, and you may want to consider transferring during the spring semester as convenience transfers for most apartment types are blocked between May 1 and Sept. 30 to allow our turnover staff to concentrate on preparing as many apartments as possible for new residents before the start of the fall semester.

Will you be leaving University Apartments?

All residents who wish to terminate their lease before the end of their lease year must submit a completed Lease Termination in your My UW Housing portal providing 90 days’ notice. Read additional information about vacating your lease.

When will University Apartments renewal offers go out?

We hope to begin sending out lease renewal offers to all eligible residents in February of 2024. The lease year for Eagle Heights and University Houses ends on June 30, 2024, and the lease year for the Harvey Street Apartments end on May 31, 2024. When your lease renewal offer is available, you will be sent an email with the link to your online lease renewal. Please review the information and take the necessary steps to complete and accept your renewal offer, or to decline the offer by the corresponding deadline.

Also, as the end of your lease year approaches, you should begin to think about the following questions:

Are you graduating or planning on vacating your apartment?

If you are graduating, or if your UW affiliation will end at the end of the summer session, you can stay in University Apartments for the summer, but you should plan to move on or before August 31, 2024. You will need to renew your lease and then turn in a lease termination form as soon as you know your actual move date. Remember that you are responsible for providing the required 90 days’ notice to terminate your lease.

If you live with a roommate, have the two of you discussed your plans?

If one of you will be leaving, both roommates will need to complete a Roommate Release form. The remaining roommate would be eligible to remain in the apartment, and to add an approved roommate in the future, by submitting a Roommate Add form. If both roommates will be leaving, a Lease Termination form should be submitted in your My UW Housing portal.

Questions or Concerns?

If you have any questions or concerns about transferring apartments, lease terminations or renewing your lease, make sure to contact the Leasing Office at leasing@housing.wisc.edu. All forms and policies mentioned are available on the University Apartments Leasing webpage.