Lease Renewal Time: What You Should Know

Red key line iconThe University Apartments Leasing team hopes to begin sending out lease renewal offers to all eligible residents in late February or early March of 2024. The lease year for Eagle Heights and University Houses ends on June 30, 2024, and the lease year for the Harvey Street Apartments ends on May 31, 2024. When your lease renewal offer is available, you will be sent an email with the link to your online lease renewal in your My UW Housing portal. Please review the information and take the necessary steps to complete and accept your renewal offer, or to decline the offer by the deadline.

As the end of your lease year approaches, you should begin to think about the following questions:

Will you be leaving University Apartments?

All residents who wish to terminate their lease before the end of their lease year must complete a Lease Termination form providing 90 days’ notice in their My UW Housing portal. Please “Decline” your renewal offer if you plan to move out at the end of the lease year.

Is your affiliation at UW–Madison ending?

If you are graduating, or if your UW affiliation will end at the end of the Spring 2024 semester, you should plan to move out of your apartment prior to the end of your current lease term (Eagle Heights and University Houses June 30, 2024, and Harvey Street May 31, 2024). If you are graduating, or if your UW affiliation will end at the end of the summer session, you can stay in University Apartments for the summer, but you should plan to move on or before August 31, 2024. You will need to renew your lease and then submit a lease termination form in your My UW Housing portal as soon as you know your actual move date. Remember that you are responsible for providing the required 90 days’ notice to terminate your lease.

If you live with a roommate – have the two of you discussed your plans?

If one of you will be leaving, both roommates will need to complete a Roommate Release form. The remaining roommate would be eligible to remain in the apartment, and to add an approved roommate in the future, by submitting a Roommate Add form. If both roommates will be leaving, a Lease Termination form should be submitted in your My UW Housing portal.

Are you leaving Madison for the summer?

If you are interested in subletting your apartment for the summer, you would need to have your potential sub lessee approved in advance. You would need to fill out the Sublet Application and email it to As a reminder, sublets are only approved when an entire apartment is vacated for a period of time. Residents would not be approved to sublet an apartment if only one roommate will be away from the apartment.

Are you interested in transferring to a different apartment?

If you are interested in transferring to a different apartment you will want to submit a transfer application in your My UW Housing portal. With an anticipated high return rate of current residents at University Apartments and likely more prospective residents than spaces available, we are near our capacity and therefore the number of transfer offers will be limited.

Questions or Concerns?

If you have any questions or concerns about renewing your lease, make sure to contact the Leasing Office at You can view all forms and policies mentioned.