University Apartments residents may make online payments through My UW Housing by entering their UW-Madison NetID and password. The Division of University Housing accepts electronic checks and debit and credit cards (Visa, MasterCard, Discover, or American Express) for online payments of bills. The following types of checks are not allowed for electronic check payments:
- Credit card cash advance checks (convenience checks)
- Home equity line of credit checks
- Brokerage account checks
University Apartments and the Division of University Housing are self-funded operations. No tax dollars are received and all operating and repair costs are paid from rent income. Payments from foreign bank accounts or credit card companies cannot be accepted. There is a 2.75 percent convenience fee for online debit or credit card payments. There is no fee charged for payment by electronic check. UW-Madison has contracted with CASHNet SmartPay to process online credit card transactions for the Division of University Housing. The 2.75 percent convenience fee covers the cost of CASHNet’s services as well as the fees charged by the credit card companies. The Division of University Housing has decided to require those who make payments using a credit card to cover the cost of this service rather than adding the cost to Housing’s rent rates.
All checks remitted for payment to University Apartments:
- Must be written on a U.S. bank or on a foreign bank that operates branch banks in the U.S. or on a foreign bank that operates in the U.S. through an affiliation with a U.S. bank
- Must be denominated in U.S. dollars only
- Must be made payable to: UW Madison – Division of University Housing
- Must contain the legible full name and address of the maker of the check
- Must contain a pre-printed check number in the upper right-hand corner of the check
- Must have the dollar amount properly recorded on the check in both of the spaces provided by the bank
- Must contain the apartment number of the resident for whom the payment is being made
No two-party checks (check made payable to anyone other than University Housing) will be accepted. University Housing processes all check on the date they are received; checks will not be held for any period of time.
Frequently Asked Questions
This is an accordion element with a series of buttons that open and close related content panels.
For questions about online payments through My UW Housing or our collections policy, please contact the Division of University Housing Cashier’s Office in Slichter Hall (625 Babcock Drive) anytime Monday – Friday from 7:45 AM – 4:30 PM CST.
- Phone: 608-262-2230
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Fees and Collections
A $20 fee is assessed to a resident’s account for any check returned to University Housing unpaid by the banks. In addition, a resident’s check-writing privileges will be suspended, and a hold will be placed on their academic records, until the payment for the returned check has been resolved. Academic holds are also placed for past due balances.
A late fee of $10 will be assessed to any balance remaining on a resident’s account as of the close of business on the fifth day of the month, or the next business day if the fifth falls on a holiday or weekend.
If you anticipate a problem with meeting a payment or deadline, or have any questions about the collections policy, please contact the Cashier’s Office at (608) 262-2230.