To be fair to all students, our room change process for the fall term begins after move-in on September 1 at 8 am in My UW Housing.
A room change involves moving from your current room assignment to a vacant space in a new room. This process requires at least one vacant space in the room you intend to move to.
End of Semester Room Change
The last day to request a fall room change is typically the Friday before Thanksgiving. After this date, students can request for a room change to occur at the end of the fall semester or after their return in the spring semester.
If you accept an end of semester room change, you’ll need to move all of your belongings out of your current room assignment before you leave for Winter Break. Upon returning for the spring semester, you’ll be able to check into your new room with your belongings.
Note: most room changes occur at the end of the first semester.
A room swap involves changing rooms with a specific person on your floor or in your hall. This process does not require there to be a vacant space in the room you intend to move to, however, both residents involved in the swap need to be in agreement. The room swap process involves the assistance of your House Fellow and Residence Life Coordinator.
A room swap is when another person on your floor or in your hall would like to change rooms with you. Here are the easy steps to follow if you are interested in a room swap:
- Contact your House Fellow. The House Fellow will ensure that all four persons involved in the room swap (you, the person you are swapping with, and both roommates) are all in agreement.
- Wait for an email from the Assignment Office. Once everything is set, you will receive an email to let you know that the room swap is okay to happen.
- Both you and the person you are swapping with will need to go to the hall desk to sign a form and exchange keys.
- Your room swap must be completed by the effective date included in the email.
Note: do not just swap rooms and keys. If there was a fire or other major emergency in your residence hall or on-campus, your family and friends would want to know that you were accounted for.
Double to Single
A double to single is an offer to turn your double room into a single room in the event that your roommate moves out of your room. In most instances, if your roommate moves out of your room, you will get another roommate. However, there are times when we may be able to offer your room to you as a single room if your roommate moves out. Here is how the process works:
- You receive an email from the Assignment Office to your wisc.edu email account with the cost and timeline for securing your double room as a single room.
- You indicate to us which option you choose by completing the information in My UW Housing:
- Retain and pay for your room as a single room for the remainder of the academic year.
- Keep your room as a double room for the remainder of the academic year. You understand that a new roommate can be assigned at any time and you ensure the room is ready for a new occupant.
- If you agree to change your room to a single room, charges for the adjustment will either appear on your next bill or a separate bill will be emailed to you if the bill has already been sent.
Note: there is a fee associated with this process and it is not always an option depending on the time of year that your roommate moves. If you accept a double to single offer, we will not remove the extra furniture for your room.