So, you’ve found yourself wanting to change rooms? Our room change process will begin on the first day of classes for the fall term, Wednesday, September 6th. While all of the processes require that you consult with a House Fellow or the Assignment Office, we will provide an overview of some of the options available to you as a resident of University Housing.
A room change involves moving from your current room assignment to a vacant space in a new room. This process requires there to be at least one vacant space in the room you intend to move (or change) to. The room change process begins on the first day of classes. To be a part of the room change process, you can submit a room change request form to the Assignment Office.
Beginning the first day of classes, students can submit a room change request. Here are the easy steps to follow if you are interested in the room change process:
- Visit the Assignment Office in the lower level of Slichter Hall (Monday-Friday 7:45 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.). The Campus 80 bus has a stop at the corner of Babcock and Observatory.
- You have the option to complete a room change form for a single or a double room…or both!
- On the room change form, be sure to provide us with as much information as possible. Remember, the more hall options you give us, the quicker you will be able to move. If you are hoping to move into a specific room, make sure to bring this room number with you.
- Once we have a space available, which matches your card, we will send an email to your wisc.edu email account offering the room change. Be sure to let us know by the date listed if you want to accept the room change.
- If you accept the change, we will send you another email with room change instructions and the date by which you need to move. Typically, students are given three days to complete their move. If you decline the room change, your request will go back in the queue. If you reject two room change offers, your request is cancelled and you would need to fill out a new room change form.
- After you accept a room change and it is processed in our system, an email to the remaining student in the room will be sent. It is important for the remaining student to be prepared for facilities staff to come and check the space after you have left.
- Follow the room change instructions that were sent to you and make sure you move by the agreed upon date.
End of Semester Room Change
The last day to request a fall room change is typically the Friday before Thanksgiving. After this date, students can request for a room change to occur at the end of the fall semester or after their return in the spring semester.
For those interested in having an end of semester room change, you will need to complete the room change form as explained above. In addition to providing all of that information, you will also need to let the Assignment Office know when you will be leaving campus for winter break. All residents must vacate their rooms within 24 hours of their last final exam.
If you are able to receive an end of semester room change, you will need to move all of your belongings into your new room before you vacate campus for winter break if the new room is already available. If your new room will not be available by the date you are leaving campus, you must move all of your belongings into the storage space of your new hall, or take them with you once you leave campus so that your old room is empty and ready for a new resident.
Upon your return to campus for the spring semester, you will then be able to move all of your belongings into your new room if you were unable to do so prior to leaving campus for winter break.
A room swap involves wanting to change rooms with a specific person on your floor or in your hall. This process does not require there to be a vacant space in the room you intend to move to, however both residents involved in the swap need to be in agreement. The room swap process involves the assistance of your House Fellow and Residence Life Coordinator.
A room swap is when another person on your floor or in your hall would like to change rooms with you. Here are the easy steps to follow if you are interested in a room swap:
- Contact your House Fellow. The House Fellow will ensure that all four persons involved in the room swap (you, the person you are swapping with, and both roommates) are all in agreement.
- Wait for an email from the Assignment Office. Once everything is set, you will receive an email to let you know that the room swap is okay to happen.
- Both you, and the person you are swapping with, will need to go to the hall desk to sign a form and exchange keys.
- Your room swap must be completed by the effective date included in the email.
Important: You might think, “Can we just swap rooms and keys without telling anyone?” The short answer is, “no.” There is a reason we have you follow this process. Imagine if there were a fire or other major emergency in your residence hall, or on campus. Your family and friends would want to know that you were accounted for in an emergency.
Double to Single
A double to single is an offer to turn your double room into a single room in the event that your roommate moves out of your room. It is important to note that there is a fee associated with this process, and also that it is not always an option depending on the time of year that your roommate moves.
In most instances, if your roommate moves out of your room, you will get another roommate. However, there are times when we may be able to offer your room to you as a single room if your roommate moves out. Here is how the process works:
- You receive an email from the Assignment Office to your wisc.edu email account with the cost and timeline for securing your double room as a single room.
- You indicate to us which option you choose by completing the information in your My UW Housing portal:
- Retain and pay for your room as a Single room for the remainder of the academic year.
- Keep your room as a Double room for the remainder of the academic year. You understand that a new roommate can be assigned at any time and you ensure that the room is ready for a new occupant.
- If you agree to change your room to a Single room, charges for the adjustment will either appear on your next quarterly bill or a separate bill will be emailed to you if the fourth quarter bill has already been sent.
If you accept a double to single offer, we will not remove the extra furniture for your room.