2017-18 Online room selection for returning residents

By returning to the University Residence Halls, you get to select your own room in My UW Housing before new students!

How to Return to the University Residence Halls

In October, you will receive an email to your account instructing you to visit My UW Housing and complete your Notice of Intent. At this time:

  • You should complete your Notice of Intent as soon as possible to indicate your housing plans for the next academic year, even if you're still not sure.
  • Thinking of returning? Indicate your preference for a single room, request a specific roommate, search for a roommate on RoomSync, or plan to live with a group of friends.
  • Want to return to your same room next year? Complete your contract and submit a deposit by October 28. Otherwise, your room will become available for others to select in mid-November.
  • International Learning Community (ILC) Language Applications become available on October 17, 2016.

From mid-November through April, you can select a new room/hall by logging into My UW Housing. After selecting a new room/hall, you have 7 days to sign your housing contract and submit a $300 deposit or the room will become available for other students to choose.

You can change your room assignment as many times as you like through April. After April, if you want to change rooms, you need to visit the Assignment Office in the lower level of Slichter Residence Hall.

Live Among Friends

Returning residents interested in living in a group together for Academic Year 2017-18 should designate a group leader to complete a request form. Priority group assignment requests are due October 31st. Your group will be placed together by our staff and will receive assignment notifications when online room selection begins on November 14th.

Groups of less than 5 people, such as two students wishing to be roommates, can choose the same room together during online room selection beginning in mid-November in My UW Housing. Our staff is always available to help with this process and you can contact us at


Students can use RoomSync, a Facebook application, to search for other students interested in returning to live in the University Residence Halls. Complete your Notice of Intent to receive your personal access code. 

Two students interested in becoming roommates should preference one another when completing the Notice of Intent in My UW Housing. If you're interested in living with a new freshman or transfer student, you should complete the form provided when submitting your roommate request in My UW Housing.

Still Deciding?

We understand you have many options to consider. We strongly recommend researching the various living options in Madison before making a final decision.

Frequently Asked Questions

Have questions about how to reapply to the University Residence Halls? Check our frequently asked questions (FAQs) to see if your question has been answered already!