January 2024 – July 2024
Phillips Residence Hall, which opened in 1959, is a four-story building structure home to 169 residents in double rooms with bathrooms. Home to the Open House Learning Community, the building is undergoing renovation to improve common spaces and resident rooms on the first and second floors.
Impacts on Residents During Construction
Overall, we’ll do our best to work with contractors to make living in Phillips a great experience and to minimize disruptions. Below are some important things we want residents to know will be happening during the 2023-24 academic year:
- While Phillips Residence Hall is under renovation, residents in Phillips will receive a discount on their Housing bill to acknowledge any potential inconveniences
- The discounted rate (total savings of $250) will be displayed on your spring semester tuition bill
- Note: to reference the original cost before discount, please visit our Billing and Rates page, and reference your room type and meal plan tier
- Construction will commence in January 2024 and be completed in July 2024
- All first-floor resident rooms as well as first-floor and second-floor common spaces will be closed while undergoing renovations, including the first-floor lounge, classroom, and second-floor lounge
- All second-floor resident rooms will remain open during construction
- Construction during the academic year will primarily focus on renovations in the first- and second-floor common areas
- As is typical with renovation projects, we anticipate activity, noise, odors, dust, vibration and additional traffic during construction hours, but we work hard to minimize disruption
- Contractors will only be allow to operate noise-intensive machinery from 9:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m.
- Contractors are allowed to be on-site before 9:00 a.m. to prep for the day, but no loud construction work will occur prior to 9:00 a.m.
- There will be no construction at Phillips during finals week except for minor quiet work that will not disrupt residents
- Construction workers will not have access to resident rooms when occupied without being escorted by Housing staff
- Barriers will prevent sharing of air between construction and resident spaces so good air quality will be maintained for students
- We recommend students bring noise-canceling headphones to help with studying and online classes
- Phillips will not be available for winter break housing, and residents will not have access to the building during winter break