Leasing paperwork for University Apartments.



When you are offered an apartment, you must complete a lease acceptance form online before the due date included in the offer. You and your spouse, domestic partner, or roommate must complete the online form and an security advance payment must be received via CashNet or mailed in to the Division of University Housing’s cashier’s office. A lease is not valid without payment of the security advance payment.

Rent begins on the first day of your lease term and is payable on a monthly basis to the Cashier’s Office. Cashier’s Office is open Monday-Friday: 10:00 am – 4:00 pm.

If you are not in the United States and are not able to make an online payment of your security advance payment, contact the University Apartment Office to make arrangements to pay when you arrive. If your plans change and you will not be accepting the lease offer, please contact the University Apartments Office immediately.

Apartment Offers

An apartment will be offered at least 30 days prior to the beginning of a lease. In most cases, apartments are offered 60 days in advance. Outside of the summer, apartments are occasionally available with little to no wait. If an offer is accepted, the applicant must move in to the apartment no later than 30 days after the start date of the lease. Failure to meet this requirement may result in the termination of a lease.

Applicants who reject a total of two apartment offers for their desired occupancy date will lose their original application date priority. Applicants that fail to respond to two apartment offers will have their applications moved to the bottom of the waiting list.

Service Animals and Emotional Support Animals

Service Animals as defined by the federal regulations implementing the Americans with Disabilities Act, 28 C.F.R.s 35.104 or the Wisconsin Open Housing Law, Wis. Stats.s.106.50 may reside or visit in University Apartments without limitations. We do ask that residents with a Service Animal in their household notify the Leasing Office.

Applicants and residents requesting an Emotional Support Animal (ESA) should contact the Leasing Office at Leasing@housing.wisc.edu. Leasing staff will provide information directing the resident to the appropriate campus office authorized to review and approve the ESA request.

Residents are not permitted to have an ESA in University Housing prior to approval. If not approved, the animal is not considered an ESA and is therefore subject to the terms and consequences of the housing contract.

If an ESA is approved, Housing staff will arrange a meeting with the resident to carefully review the resident’s responsibilities pertaining to having an ESA in University Apartments.

Lead Paint

In accordance with the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) we are required to inform new residents of any lead-based hazards in your prospective apartment. Federal guidelines require a new resident’s signature acknowledging they have received this information. New residents should check the “Resident’s Acknowledgement and Certification of Accuracy” on their lease acceptance form.