Work with University Housing!
A job with University Housing is fun and a great way to meet friends, become an important part of the UW community, and work close to where you live! You’ll gain valuable life skills which will help you succeed in your career and life!
Interested? Check out our employment opportunities below. Wages start at $15.00/hr or higher!
Also, as a UW-Madison student working on campus, you may not have to pay for Social Security (6.2%) and Medicare (FICA) taxes (1.45%). This could save you hundreds each year!
If you have any questions about the hiring process, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Work with University Housing!
Whether you’re looking to earn some extra spending money or jump-start your career, University Housing has a wide selection of student positions for you! From Dishwasher to Culinary Assistant or Student Stocker, employees can benefit from opportunities to work in a variety of different departments and become eligible for promotional opportunities, all while we work around your class schedule!
Benefits of Working with Housing:
- All of our student jobs have a starting wage of $15/hour or more, with opportunities to earn raises or promotions
- Employees receive a discount on food and drinks in our dining halls
- Total schedule flexibility
- Ability to work in a variety of different departments
- Our positions are work-study eligible
- Meet a fun, social network of other student employees
- No prior job experience is necessary for many of our positions!
☀️ Now Hiring For Summer ☀️
Want to work with Housing this summer but don’t want to go through the hassle of finding an apartment to sublet? University Housing is offering summer housing for our student employees. The best part? It’s only $500 for the whole summer!
- Must be a student employee of University Housing for Summer 2023
- Must be 18 years or older to live with Housing during the summer
For more details check out our Summer Term Housing page. To apply for summer housing, log in to My UW Housing and follow the summer application link. When filling out the application – identify that you would like to work for Housing.
Residence Hall Priority Consideration FAQs
This is an accordion element with a series of buttons that open and close related content panels.
Am I eligible to receive priority consideration for one of my top residence hall preferences?
Students are eligible for this special perk if …
- You are a 1st year/1st contracted student in the residence halls (this perk is not for our returning hall residents)
- You applied for and accepted a job in an eligible title by May 15th!
- Eligible titles: Culinary Assistant, Dishwasher, Residence Hall Facilities Custodian, Maintenance Worker, and Construction Assistant
Can I change my residence hall preferences now?
- Not anymore, the deadline to change your residence hall preferences has passed
When will I know my room assignment?
- You’ll receive your room assignment in June!
Why can’t I apply to a certain work location?
- Right now, we’re just gathering your interest in the type of work you want to do (job title). Once you accept a job offer, you’ll be placed into one of your top residence hall preferences. As soon as your room assignment is finalized, we will place you in a work location nearby.
When will I know my work location?
- Once residence hall assignments are posted, we will place you in a work location close to where you’ll live
When would I start my job?
- Jobs that are part of the residence hall priority consideration will start on August 24th (you’ll receive a move-in date of August 23rd)
What if I have a roommate I want to live with?
- We do our best to keep roommates together!
What if I don't accept my job offer by May 15th?
- Unfortunately, you’ll no longer receive priority consideration for one of your top residence hall preferences
- But the good news is, we’ll still be hiring!
- After May 15th, you can still apply and accept a job for fall.
What happens if I don’t want to work anymore?
- If you accepted a job but are no longer interested in working, you can withdraw from the job. We encourage all students to give working a chance. Many of our seniors tell us that their job was one of the most valuable things in their college experience.
How do I apply for a student job?
- It’s easy! You can apply for a University Housing student job by creating an online application at www.housing.wic.edu/jobs/student
How do I accept a job offer?
- If we still have openings available in the job you apply to, you will automatically receive a job offer once you submit your application.
- The system will provide you with the details of the job, and you’ll have the option to either Accept or Decline the position.
- You have ONE day from the date you receive the offer to accept, otherwise, the offer will expire.
What jobs will make me eligible for the residence hall priority consideration?
- Culinary Assistant, Dishwasher, Residence Hall Facilities Custodian, Maintenance Worker, and Construction Assistant
Why should I work for University Housing?
Student Employment with University Housing offers many different things…
- Flexible scheduling around your classes and exams
- A great way to meet people, make friends, and stay connected with campus and student life
- Convenient locations close to (or in the same building!) where you live.
- Promotional opportunities that will provide valuable leadership experience