May 2012 – May 2013
Carson Gulley Center (formerly named Carson Gulley Commons and originally named Van Hise Refectory) was established in 1926 along with Adams and Tripp residence halls, the earliest buildings in the lakeshore area neighborhood.
Renovation of Carson Gulley Center dramatically improved all three levels to better accommodate student activities and meeting space needs of the International Learning Community, language houses, and special events for the lakeshore area. The dining venue became a deli and carryout, similar to Newell’s in Smith Hall. The facility now serves as a community center for the Slichter, Adams, and Tripp Residence Hall neighborhood.
- New HVAC, electrical systems, plumbing and windows
- A new passenger elevator to allow residents and guests to reach all three floors of the building
- New freight elevator
- Public bathrooms on all floors were updated and expanded
- Building and entry accessibility improvements
- Revamped bike and moped parking
- A new, informal student lounge with program space
- Three new retail food service venues serving pizza, sandwiches, burritos, tacos, and other global menu options
- New convenience store section of the expanded dining marketplace
- Expanded first floor seating area that received finish and lighting treatments
- Renovated second floor space for catered event use with a set-up for buffet service, catering support, and a built-in beverage station