Open House is by and far the most accepting and friendly communities. Everyone is welcoming and it will honestly feel like you’ve gained a second family.DARREN SCHOENIKE, Open House Resident
Gender and Women’s Studies 100 | 1 Credit
Gender and Women’s Studies (GWS) 100 is a one-credit course led by Open House Faculty Director and Professor of Gender and Women’s Studies Dr. Sami Schalk. The course explores past and present topics in LGBTQIA+ communities. Readings and discussions in the seminar will be extended and enhanced by impromptu conversations and experiences between residents and the Faculty Director, with opportunities to bring in guest speakers. This fun class is exclusively available to Open House residents and is available every Fall and Spring semester.
Each semester, Open House hosts a variety of events that support and expand upon the ideals of the learning community. The events vary from movies to speakers to cookouts. No matter what the occasion, all events aim to build a stronger community and give anyone and everyone the chance to express themselves. Other notable events from Open House’s include attending local and national conferences, bringing prominent speakers to campus, and working with our campus partners to have a lot of fun!
Below are some of the events and activities from recent years that Open House residents have participated in.
- Field trips
- Movie nights
- Conference trips
- Karaoke nights
- Study jams
- Game nights
- Gender and Sexuality Campus Center (GSCC)
- Office of the Registrar Preferred Name Policy
- Department of Gender and Women’s Studies
- Center for Research on Gender and Women
- Department of History Program in Gender and Women’s History
- Certificate in LGBT Studies
- Campus Women’s Center
- The Pride Society
- LGBTQA Social Work Student Group
- Out in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (oSTEM)
- Youth Fellowship of Madison
- Gender and Women’s Studies Librarian