Put your creativeness to the test in this accessible-to-all innovation contest. You could win $1,200 in cash prizes in one weekend!
Create and pitch a valuable, innovative or socially beneficial product or service using materials from UW SWAP (Surplus with a Purpose). Think like an entrepreneur and keep in mind the three elements of entrepreneurship: having an idea, taking action and creating value. To succeed in this Challenge, test assumptions, seize opportunities and be creative. The contest is administered by the StartUp Learning Community at UW-Madison and is open to all currently enrolled UW-Madison students.
How it Works
- Attend the SWAP Item Pick-Up at the Makerspace in the 2nd floor of Wendt Commons (next to Union South) to select pieces to be repurposed into your creation
- Work alone or with a team to build and document your working prototype…have fun and be creative!
- Submit and pitch your creation by posting a video or photo series to a public website (here are some video submissions from previous years)
- Winners will be selected in three categories: Most Potential Revenue Value, Most Creative, and Most Potential Social Value.
- Nov. 14 – SWAP Item Pick-Up is open
- Nov. 18 – Submit your video/photo gallery of your prototype by 1pm
If you still have questions after consulting the contest rules and technical requirements, please contact the StartUp Learning Community Program Coordinator, Sari Judge or call 608-332-3941.
- Most Potential Revenue Value: HydroSpine
Our judges felt this device rides the intergenerational trend of increasingly sedentary lifestyle and solves a key problem that comes along with it. Health and self-improvement seem like big market opportunities.
- Most Potential Social Value: Sustainable Parking Garage
The judges felt this product has extremely important social implications as it provides an efficient and sustainable way to solve a significant problem with the way status quo parking lots are built and powered.
- Most Creative: Solar Buzz Pop Socket
Our judges felt this concept creatively solves a very common issue in this device-driven age and had a very well-crafted and creative presentation.
- Most Potential Revenue Value: Smokelet
- Most Potential Social Value: Port Spring
- Most Creative: Talk to Me Teddy
- Most Potential Revenue Value: Safe Bracelet
- Most Potential Social Value: Portable Refugee Tent
- Most Creative: The Hot Seat
- Most Potential Revenue Value (tie): Switch It and Everyday Particle Assembler Disassembler Machine
- Most Creative: The Adjustable
- Most Potential Social Value: Lens-O-Rotator