Put your creativeness to the test in this accessible-to-all innovation contest. You could win $1,200 in cash prizes in one weekend!
Create and pitch a valuable, innovative or socially beneficial product or service using materials you can find in your dorm room, home or apartment. Think like an entrepreneur and keep in mind the three elements of entrepreneurship: having an idea, taking action and creating value. To succeed in this Challenge, test assumptions, seize opportunities and be creative. The contest is administered by the StartUp Learning Community at UW-Madison and is open to all currently enrolled UW-Madison students.
If you have any questions at any point either before or during the contest, contact email@example.com.
How it Works
- View the approved items list on here starting the morning of Nov. 12th at 9 AM. Register for the contest and send a photo of your “materials” before you begin creating.
- Work alone or with a team to build and document your working prototype…have fun and be creative!
- Submit and pitch your creation by posting a video or photo series/presentation to a public website (here are some video submissions from previous years)
- Winners will be selected in three categories: Most Potential Revenue Value, Most Creative, and Most Potential Social Value.
Approved Material List
- Up to four pairs of socks
- pens and pencils
- rubber bands
- a pair of shoe laces
- A light source (flashlight, lightbulb, etc)
- Four visuals printed out from on-line
- A key ring
- soda cans and bottles
- paper of any type
- water bottles
- coffee mugs
- A t shirt
- snack food and/or snack food packaging
- cardboard boxes/card board
- face masks
- toiletries and toiletry packaging
- Nov. 12 – view the list of approved items
- Nov. 16 – Submit your video/photo gallery of your prototype by 1pm
If you still have questions after consulting the contest rules and technical requirements, please contact the StartUp Learning Community Program Coordinator, Sari Judge or call 608-332-3941.
- Most Potential Social Value: Black Out Buddy
- Most Potential Revenue Value: Safety Water Bottle
- Most Creative: Party Piñata
- Most Potential Revenue Value: HydroSpine
- Most Potential Social Value: Sustainable Parking Garage
- Most Creative: Solar Buzz Pop Socket
- Most Potential Revenue Value: Smokelet
- Most Potential Social Value: Port Spring
- Most Creative: Talk to Me Teddy
- Most Potential Revenue Value: Safe Bracelet
- Most Potential Social Value: Portable Refugee Tent
- Most Creative: The Hot Seat
- Most Potential Revenue Value (tie): Switch It and Everyday Particle Assembler Disassembler Machine
- Most Creative: The Adjustable
- Most Potential Social Value: Lens-O-Rotator