Housing FAQs

Residence Hall Assignments

This is an accordion element with a series of buttons that open and close related content panels.

When will students get their room assignment information?

We anticipate that we will begin releasing room assignments and roommate information in mid-June and continuing throughout the summer. This information will be shared through an email to your wisc.edu account, and it will also be available in My UW Housing. Some students will receive a later assignment as we work through final adjustments and cancellations throughout the summer. If you are a returning resident, you have already selected your room, and that information can be reviewed in My UW Housing. For students joining campus starting at the spring semester, assignment information is typically sent in early-January.

How many students will have to wait for a later assignment?

Later assignments are a normal part of our process, to allow us to work through final adjustments and cancellations throughout the summer before placing some students. We monitor for cancellations daily and continually assign students as we are able. Our goal is to have all students assigned by mid-August, but it can run later. Students recently admitted will likely see assignment information closer to the August date. You are still guaranteed to have a space with University Housing for the fall.

What are my odds of getting one of my top hall preferences?

We cannot guarantee that you will be assigned to one of the residence halls or room types you ranked in your preferences. For example, Ogg has about 775 available spaces for first-years but was ranked by over 4,300 students as one of their top three choices.

Will Housing be using Lowell Center again this year?

Yes, Lowell Center will again be used as a residence hall, featuring resident rooms that have their own bathroom. Lowell Market will again be available in the building for dining for residents. Lowell was originally built in 1961 as a private residence hall and has operated for many years as a campus hotel. It offers a mix of singles, doubles, and triples, most with a private bathroom. Residents will have typical residence hall furniture and storage space in their rooms, along with access to high-speed internet, TV service, laundry facilities, and shared spaces for studying and socializing, similar to other residence halls. On-site Residence Life staff will provide student support and programming throughout the year.

I will be living in the residence halls, but I don't want to share a room - can I have a single?

University Housing has a limited number of single rooms in certain residence halls, but the vast majority of our resident rooms are doubles and triples, as well as some quads. Most residents will have a roommate. If you are unsatisfied with your room assignment and are interested in changing rooms, you can fill out a room change request form starting the first week of classes in My UW Housing and indicate your preferences on room type and buildings. If we are able to offer you a room change, we will email you the room change offer.

I already know that I want to change my room to a different one in another residence hall. How do I start that process?

The room change process typically opens on the first day of fall classes and remains open until late spring semester. For 2023-24, the room change process opens on September 6 at 8:00 a.m. in My UW Housing. The process is open for any student who is reserved or currently residing in on-campus housing through their My UW Housing portal.

My residence hall doesn't have air conditioning. Can I bring my own air conditioner?

For students assigned to a residence hall that is not centrally air conditioned, University Housing offers the opportunity for those residents to register to bring an approved air conditioner unit to their room. Registration is done in My UW Housing. However, most of these students find that a box fan in the room is sufficient, since the weather is cool enough through most of the academic year. Please consider environmental impact if you choose to register to bring an air conditioner unit.


  • Fully Self-Evaporative Portable Air Conditioner
  • Cooling BTU Needed (DOE Standard) = 5,000 – 6,000 BTU
  • ETL/UL Listed Machine
  • Standard 115-volt electrical plug (NEMA 5 – 15)

Fully Self-Evaporative Portable Air Conditioner acceptable examples include:

  • LG Model: LP0621WSR
  • Friedrich Model: ZCP08SA
  • Frigidaire Model: FHPC082AC1 or FHPC102AC1

Instructions for requesting permission to bring your own air conditioner will be available in My UW Housing.

Can I visit campus to see my room or a similar room in-person?

During the summer, we offer in-person tours of several representative resident rooms in various buildings. These tours are offered weekdays during SOAR at specific times. (We are not able to show every building, room type, or your specific room, because many of our residence halls are used during the summer for conferences and camps, and others may be under renovation.)

For most of our residence halls and room types, you can also find extensive details and photos on our residence hall web pages, including measurements and 360-degree room tours. Since there can be some room variation within the buildings and room types, we recommend waiting to purchase too many size-specific items until you have arrived on campus and seen your actual room.

Where can I find measurements and details for my room?

Each of our residence hall web pages includes extensive details* for most common room types in that building, including typical dimensions, photos, 360-degree tours, and floor plans. We also have an “Inside Our Rooms” page that explains what is provided in a room, along with lofting information and various measurements for our buildings.

Due to the variety of residence halls, rooms, furniture, closets, etc. in University Housing, we are unable to provide details and measurements for all possible situations and items. If the information you’re looking for isn’t shown on our website, we are unable to provide it at this time.

*Note: Rooms in some residence halls have mixed furniture. Furniture, measurements, and dimensions may vary.

I have a question about my hall assignment. How do I reach out to Housing to talk to someone about it?

Feel free to fill out our contact form if you have any questions or concerns about your assignment. We typically reply to submitted questions within three business days. Filling out the form once is sufficient. We will return your message. Multiple contacts inhibit our ability to get back to you and other students in a timely manner.

Triple & Quad Rooms

This is an accordion element with a series of buttons that open and close related content panels.

Will there be triple and quad resident rooms this year?

Yes, with strong demand for on-campus housing for 2023-24, we expect to have many first-year students living in triple rooms, as well as some quads in converted lounges/dens. These spaces provide similar amenities for residents as traditional doubles and allow us to accommodate more students who want to live in the residence halls. Triple rooms are a common practice at many of our peer universities, and resident satisfaction has remained mostly positive in triples.

What are triples/quads like?

Triples are larger double rooms that can accommodate 3 residents. Quads are lounge/den spaces that have been converted to accommodate 4 residents. All of these spaces have been assessed to ensure they provide plenty of space, and all include similar furniture and amenities for each resident as what they would find in other resident rooms. Housing has used spaces like these in this way for several years with good success. We simply have more of these spaces being used in this way than in the past. Example images of many of these room setups can be found on our residence hall pages.

What rooms/buildings are going to have triple rooms?

Many new students in Dejope, Leopold, Ogg, and Smith will be in triples. Some rooms in Adams and Tripp will be triples as well.

Do residents in a triple/quad pay a lower rate for housing?

Costs for triple and quad rooms are among our lowest resident rates. They are based on the rates established for similar triple and quad rooms that we have used in past years, approved by the UW Board of Regents. These rates also compare well with similar rooms at other Big Ten universities. Rates for all of our buildings and room types can be found on our Billing & Rates page.

I was assigned to a triple room, but I only wanted one roommate. Can I be assigned to a double room?

With strong demand for on-campus housing, we have many first-year students living in triples and quads. These spaces provide similar amenities for residents as traditional doubles and allow us to accommodate more students who want to live in the residence halls. Our triple rooms have been verified by our Facilities staff to ensure that there is sufficient space for three students, their belongings and furniture in the room. Triple rooms are a common practice at many of our peer universities, and resident satisfaction has remained mostly positive in triples. To be fair to all students, our online room change process opens after move-in, on the first day of classes, in My UW Housing.

How can you fit three or four people in a room? Aren't these triples and quads former double rooms?

Our Residence Hall Facilities team has assessed all of our spaces to ensure that spaces being used for three roommates provide enough space for extra furniture and living space. These rooms have been configured to maximize the best layout and space for triple living. These spaces being used for triple living are comparable to what our peers are using in other Big 10 campuses as well. In addition, spaces used for 4 roommates are significantly larger as they were spaces that were formerly used for dens or study rooms.

I'm in a triple room with a walk-in closet that used to be a double. How will we divide up the closet space among the three of us?

Triple rooms in Dejope, Leopold, Ogg, Smith have one large walk-in closet for all residents to share. The closets are flexible with a variety of shelves and partitioned hanging areas. They are not strictly designed with one area per resident, so three residents can easily divide up the space in a way that works for all. Closets in these buildings can be seen in photos and renderings on their respective web pages

Can we loft all three beds in a triple room?

The most common room arrangement in triples is to bunk two of the beds and loft the third bed, to make good use of the space. In most triple rooms, it is possible to loft all three beds if you place most other furniture underneath the beds. However, rooms may vary slightly and it is possible some would not accommodate lofting all three beds. Lofting information is posted on our “Inside Our Halls” web page.

Learning Communities

This is an accordion element with a series of buttons that open and close related content panels.

I got placed in a Learning Community but I don’t want to be in one or pay the fee.

We do our best to place students in the communities that they ranked in their preferences, however, we always see a large number of students preferencing the same buildings. Because of this, it is possible for students to be placed in any hall or community on campus, even if they did not rank or prioritize it in their preferences.

Past Learning Community residents report a high degree of satisfaction with their living experience and the support they received in exploring academic and career interests. The learning community fee covers some of the costs of the additional services, programs, and staff that are made available to you while living in the community.Your level of involvement in the community is entirely up to you.

I saw something about a Learning Community Seminar. Is this something I have to do? Is it required?

Each learning community offers a for-credit seminar only available to residents in that community. The seminar explores the theme of the learning community while connecting you with other students, faculty mentors, and industry leaders. If you are living in a learning community, you get to take a class with friends while getting insider tips on being successful in college and your future career. Most seminars are 1-credit and easily fit into your course schedule. We strongly encourage you to enroll in the seminar in order to make the most of your experience, but it is not required. If you have more questions, you should talk with your academic advisor.

Waitlist & Off-Campus Housing

This is an accordion element with a series of buttons that open and close related content panels.

I am currently on the waiting list for University Housing, will you be able to offer me a contract?

We have currently offered contracts to all admitted first-year and transfer students. We will continue to offer housing as long as space remains available. We do not anticipate being able to offer housing to most special students, readmits and reentry transfers, and current UW–Madison students wanting to return to the residence halls.

If I don’t get into the residence halls this fall, could I get a room for the spring semester?

Students interested in living in the University Residence Halls for Spring 2024 should reach out to our office sometime in mid-October. Spring contracts are offered as long as space remains available.

Where can students live if they are not in the residence halls?

The area around UW–Madison offers a large amount of conveniently-located private housing for students. The Campus Area Housing service is UW–Madison’s official resource for students searching for privately-owned rentals. Many of these properties offer social opportunities, affordable rental rates, and amenities comparable to the residence halls.

If I wasn't able to live in the residence halls this year, are there ways I can still take advantage of Housing programs and services to support my first-year experience?

The Center for First Year Experience (CFYE) offers many resources available to first-year students. From first-year interest groups, Go Big Read, and How-to Guides, there are lots of options to explore. Other campus offices assist students, such as the Center for Leadership and Involvement (CfLI) which connects students to more then 700 student organizations and other leadership opportunities on campus. Other great places to get involved can be seen on the CFYE website.

Returning Resident

This is an accordion element with a series of buttons that open and close related content panels.

What does this year's process and timeline look like for returning to the residence halls for 2023-24?

University Housing offered a limited number (similar to this year’s returner numbers) of on-campus housing spaces to current residents for academic year 2023-2024 in October and November 2022. Unfortunately, we have now reached our capacity for returner contracts for next year. Since our returning process has now ended, students still in need of housing for academic year 2023-24 should pursue off-campus options. There are services at UW-Madison to help students find off-campus housing, such as the Campus Area Housing Office.

For full details on our returning resident process, visit our Returning Residents page.


  • Step 1: Notice of Intent & Roommate Selection (Open October 27 at 10:00 a.m. – November 6 at 11:55 p.m.)
  • Step 2: Email Confirmation of Selection Time or Waiting List (Sent to residents by November 10)
  • Step 3: Room Selection (Starts November 15/16, 2022)
  • Step 4: Contract & Advance Payment (Due within 72 hours of selecting a space)

Where can I go to look for off-campus housing if I am on the waiting list?

Based on our contacts, there is still availability in the campus area housing market for next year if students consider all options and use all of the available tools. There are many resources for finding off-campus student housing, including individual property websites, commercial websites like Zillow and Apartments.com, and various social media groups for UW students posting about roommates and sublets. The Campus Area Housing website is another helpful resource to search for privately owned housing options near campus. Many property management companies near campus list their availabilities on this website, and they will continue to update their availabilities for next year throughout the fall semester.

If you have questions about a lease or the leasing process, the Tenant Resource Center is a nonprofit organization that provides information and education about rental rights and responsibilities. They also maintain a list of larger management and rental companies in the Madison area.

What buildings and room types are available for returning?

A variety of room types are open for returners across most of our residence halls, including singles, doubles, triples, and quads. Roommate groups can only select rooms that fit their group size (i.e. two in a double, three in a triple, etc.).

Can I change my room choice or roommate choice after I make my selection?

Once a returning student makes their room selection and signs the contract, they will not be able to make changes until after the returning resident process closes. After the process closes, they can request a room change in the My UW Housing portal, and room change offers will depend on what spaces are available at that time.

If I sign a contract for next year but change my mind and want to live off-campus instead, can I be released from my Housing contract?

The Housing contract is legally binding for the full academic year. Contract releases to live off-campus while attending UW–Madison are only considered when demand for housing exceeds occupancy. As always, you have an option of a buy-out of your contract at 85% of the remaining financial obligation. To be considered for release, complete the release request form in My UW Housing and follow the instructions on the “Request a Cancellation” form under the “Contract and Room” section.

What happens if I select a room but don’t sign the contract and pay the deposit right away?

Students must sign their contract and pay their advance payment within 72 hours of selecting a space. If they do not complete these steps within those 72 hours, they will be placed on the waiting list, and another opportunity to select a space is highly unlikely. The room they selected will be released back into the room selection process.

Who can I contact if I have questions or need help with the returning resident process?

Please reach out to our Assignment Office through our Contact form, and our staff will respond to your message within 3 business days or less. Our staff will be managing a large volume of messages and will not be able to provide details about waiting list status. Please do not send multiple messages about the same topic, as this will inhibit our ability to get back to you and other students in a timely manner.


This is an accordion element with a series of buttons that open and close related content panels.

What Dining facilities are open?

Visit our Dining locations and hours page to see the latest updates and schedules.

Who is allowed to use Housing’s dining locations?

Our dining locations are open to anyone on campus, including students, faculty, staff, and the general public. Guests can purchase meals individually at door price with a credit card, debit card, or Wiscard. When paying with your Wiscard, you’ll receive a 5% discount on all purchases. Guests may also order food for delivery from any location through the Starship Technologies app.

Does all-you-care-to-eat service reduce food waste?

Yes, we use a trayless system for all-you-to-eat so residents take what they would like. Residents are welcome to come back as many times as they would like to take additional food, and this helps reduce food waste. In addition, University Housing Dining takes any leftover unserved food from the Dining Markets and creates pre-packaged frozen microwaveable meals. These meals are available at no cost to any student on-campus facing food insecurity. To learn more about this program and where you can pick-up food, see the Frozen Meal Program Instagram and Facebook pages.

Are seating areas open between meal periods?

No, because staff need to clean and prepare the market between every meal serving period, both the dining room and market will be closed to the public.

Will seating areas be open for studying or socializing?

Residents who have paid for a meal are welcome to use the dining rooms during meal service periods. Dining rooms will be closed between service meal periods.

Can I carry in outside food?

No outside food will be allowed in the dining rooms of our six markets.

How does all-you-care-to-eat service work?

All-you-care-to-eat or buffet style service means diners will pay for their meal upon entry to the market. In order to help manage food waste, these locations will have trayless service. Diners are able to return as many times as they would like during the meal period to enjoy additional servings.

Can I visit with friends if I’m not eating?

No, as guests have to pay to enter the market at and these dining rooms are only open to diners. These spaces need to stay open for those individuals actively eating.

Who can I talk to if I have dietary concerns or if I’m unhappy with the dining service?

Please reach out to us through our Contact Us Form. We have staff providing timely responses to questions and concerns received there.

Where can I get coffee and ice cream on campus?

In the Southeast Neighborhood, there is a Starbucks location in Smith Residence Hall and Southeast Café in Gordon Dining & Event Center offers ice cream. In the Lakeshore neighborhood, there is a Bean & Creamery located in Dejope Residence Hall. To see hours and locations visit our dining hours page.

If products change, how can I check for allergens or other dietary needs?

The food information displayed at each venue will always be accurate to what is being served. You can always check those to verify any dietary need or food accommodation. But above all, if you have a question or need please let us know and reach out to a staff member working. We are always happy to help.

Can Dining Dollars be used at other campus locations?

Yes. Dining Dollars are retail dollars that a student can use at any food location on campus. This would include any Housing Dining venue or Union location. Think of them like cash on a debit card.

Can students change their dining plan at certain points of the year?

For the 2023-24 Academic Year, students can adjust their dining plan selection for the fall semester up until August 4, 2023. Students will have an opportunity in November/December to adjust their dining plan for the spring semester. Exact dates for dining plan changes are still being finalized.

To view or change their current dining plan selection, students should log into My UW Housing, go into their 2023-24 application (select “Click here to get started”), and then click on “Dining Plan.”

Do unused meals for a week always expire, or is there any flexibility to carry over or flex to another week?

Unused meals expire at the end of the week and do not carry over to the next week. Your dining plan gives you a designated number of meals per week based on the plan you selected. We can help you decide on the right plan to fit your schedule and eating habits, ensuring you get the full value of your plan. Please reach out to us at dining@housing.wisc.edu.

Will any of the dining funds carry over at the end of the year if unused?

No, designated meals per week need to be used up within the week. In addition, all Dining Dollars need to be used up by the end of the academic year. They do not carry over to the next year.

I have purchased the GoUnlimited dining plan, can I share my meals with guest or my friends who have run out of meal for the week?

Meals are to be used for the student who purchased the plan and cannot be used for friends or guests. Students are not allowed to use another resident’s Wiscard. As part of the GoUnlimited plan, you will receive three guest meals per semester. These meals can be used for guests or friends. Once guest meals are used up, you can use your Dining Dollars to buy meals for others at the door price per meal.

If I have extra meals I haven't used for the week, can I "donate" them to someone else in need?

No. Meals aren’t transferable to other students. However, Housing Dining is a part of the Swipe Out Hunger program and residents are able to donate a meal swipe when making a purchase to support UW-Madison’s Badger FARE program. In addition, University Housing Dining takes any leftover unserved food from the Dining Markets and creates pre-packaged frozen microwaveable meals. These meals are available at no cost to any student on-campus facing food insecurity. To learn more about this program and where you can pick up food, see the Frozen Meal Program Instagram and Facebook pages.

I'm not a housing resident (student or employee). How does dining work for me?

Non-housing residents will pay a flat standard fee for their meal upon entry to the market. This will allow you to enjoy all-you-care-to-eat (buffet style service). You are welcome to come back into the market during your meal as many times as you would like for additional food, however you are not able to carry out extra food. If a non-resident pays with their Wiscard, they receive a 5% discount.

Are all meal periods counted as the same amount for residents?

Yes, for residents using their dining plan meals, all meal periods – breakfast, lunch, dinner, and brunch (served on weekends) – count as equal meals and will count as one of your weekly meals. If you are a non-resident or if you are using Dining Dollars or other funds to pay for a meal, there are different prices for different meal periods.

If I have used all of my meals for the week, what are my options for eating for the rest of the week?

If you use all of your designated meals for the week, you can use your Dining Dollars to purchase meals upon entry to the market at standard price. You’ll receive a 5% discount on food when using your Wiscard. If you run out of Dining Dollars, you are able to add money to your Wiscard online or by visiting the Wiscard Office.

In addition, University Housing Dining takes any leftover unserved food from the dining markets and creates pre-packaged frozen microwaveable meals. These meals are available at no cost to any student on-campus. To learn more about this program and where you can pick-up food UW Frozen Meals Instagram and Facebook pages.

What day and time will meal balances get renewed each week?

Our weeks run Sunday through Saturday. Weekly meal balances renew for the week every Sunday at 12:00 am.

I have a dietary need (vegan, vegetarian, halal) or food allergy. Will I still be able to find enough options that I can eat at the markets?

Fill out the Allergy/Dietary Requirement Self-Declaration Form so our Housing Dietitian can make sure your specific needs are addressed. We are happy to work with students regarding individual circumstances. We have several resources we can use to ensure your needs are met.

What can a student do if facing financial hardship?

If you are facing financial emergencies during your time at UW-Madison, you can submit an Emergency Support Request via your MyUW Student Center to be considered for emergency support options, including limited grant funding and loans.

In addition to direct financial support, UW–Madison continues to connect students with resources to meet and navigate basic needs (e.g., internet/technology, child care, housing and employment) and food assistance.

Above all, if you need assistance, please reach out to us at dining@housing.wisc.edu, and we will see what we can do to get you connected with assistance.

Can students take food to-go from markets?

Yes, to take food to-go from any location, you will need to use your Ticket to Take-Out token. Upon entry to the Market, provide your token to the cashier. You’ll be allowed to take 1 container to-go. The container must be able to shut. Food that is requested to-go must be consumed off-site and not in the dining room.

Where can I go to see how many meals I have left for the week?

You can check your meal balance for the week along with your Dining Dollars balance at any time by visiting the Wiscard online account portal. In addition, after your Wiscard is swiped for entrance in the dining facility, you balance will flash on the POS machine.

What are meal exchanges?

A meal exchange is a meal a student can use from their dining plan at Flamingo Run or The Bean & Creamery for a set combination of items during certain hours. One exchange meal may be redeemed per day. The number of meal exchanges allowed per week will depend on your selected dining plan (2/week for Go10, 4/week for Go14, and 6/week for GoUnlimited).

Why are all residents required to have a dining plan?

Having a dining plan helps ensure that students get the nutrition they need to be healthy and successful, without having to worry about budgeting for food throughout the year. It also allows us to maintain lower housing rates for our residents, and gives students more value.

Summer Block Meal Plan

This is an accordion element with a series of buttons that open and close related content panels.

How do I select and pay for a summer block meal plan?

Once you have completed a Summer Term contract, you will be able to select a summer block meal plan in My UW Housing. Charges will be added to your student account.

What are the locations and times for meals?

Four Lakes Market and Gordon Avenue Market. Dining hours are listed on the website.

What does a block consist of and how long is it good for?

One block consists of 25 meals for a total cost of $206. Summer block meal plans are effective May-August. Exact dates will be announced soon.

Will I be refunded for blocks that I did not use?

No, no refunds will be issued for unused blocks or meals.

Will I be refunded for any meals that I did not use?

No, no refunds will be issued for unused blocks or meals.

Can I add more blocks when I run out?

Summer residents can purchase another meal plan for an additional block of 25 meals at $206 on the Wiscard website.

What happens to unused meals if I cancel my summer housing contract?

If you have an approved cancellation from your summer housing contract, any unused meals will be credited (reversed) from the initial charge to your student center account.

Do I get a discounted rate for meals as an employee?

Housing employees are ineligible for the summer block meal plan, but receive a discounted rate of $6.99 per meal when purchased with their Wiscard account.

How does the summer block meal plan work if I am part of a summer group (i.e. Project GO, SAFLI, IFLI, TURFLI, Boost)?

Assignment staff will work with program coordinators of summer groups based on their specific situation. Email AssignMe@housing.wisc.edu if you are part of one of these groups and wish to add a summer block meal plan.

Do unused summer block meals roll over into my fall meal plan?

No. The summer block meal plans operate separately from the academic year plans. Summer meal plans will expire in August and any unused meals remaining after that will be forfeited.

Do the block meals work at Wisconsin Union or other campus dining facilities?

The summer block meal plan is valid at Four Lakes Market and Gordon Avenue Market only. There are no meal exchanges or dining dollars with the summer block meal plans.

Can I use one of my meals for a guest?

Summer residents can use meals for guests to dine with them. There are no daily limits or waiting periods between meals used.

Can I purchase a summer block meal plan while living off-campus?

The summer block meal plan is only available to residents with a binding summer housing contract.

Can I use the summer block meal plan for Starship robot delivery purchases?

The summer block meal plan is not eligible for Starship delivery. Residents will need to utilize other funds if they would like to take advantage of the robot delivery service.


This is an accordion element with a series of buttons that open and close related content panels.

What does Fall move-in day look like for students and families?

During the main Fall move-in days, students and families arriving on their assigned date and time are directed to short-term parking near their building for unloading. (Students should be sure to print their parking permit from My UW Housing and bring it with them.) Residents have 45 minutes to get their room key from the check-in station and unload their belongings into their room. Volunteers and carts are available to help make this a quick and easy process. After 45 minutes, vehicles should be moved to long-term parking spaces. Family members and helpers can come back after moving vehicles to help with room setup, lofting, and other things. Some families will choose to leave at this point so their student can get settled in and start meeting people on their floor. Some families will stay to decorate, get a meal, explore Madison, or go shopping for supplies with their student. Each resident will get two extra guest meals loaded onto their dining plan that can be used during move-in days to dine with their helpers. Campus does not have planned activities for family members during move-in, so most will return home afterwards or stay the night in a local hotel (hotel availability in Madison will be limited) before leaving Madison. Residents can participate in a variety of welcome activities and orientation programs during their first days on campus, leading up to New Student Convocation and the first day of classes.

I want to change my move-in date, what do I do?

For Fall 2024, residence halls move-in will take place August 28 – 30. Students will receive their assigned move-in date and time in June with their room assignment information via email and in My UW Housing. Assigned dates/times allow us to spread out activity evenly to ensure available resources and parking. Once you have received your pre-assigned move-in date and time, you will be able to switch to another available time slot in My UW Housing. Available dates and times will fluctuate as other students also update their plans. If your student does not initially see their preferred date/time as an option, they should check back periodically in My UW Housing to see if something has become available.  Changes can be requested until August 26, 2024. Some students may be required to move in earlier or on a specific day based on organizations or jobs they might be involved in.

I have questions about room dimensions, furniture and other items so I can get all the right things for Move-in. How do I get that information from you?

We have lots of the information listed on our website. Browse to your residence hall and on that specific hall page, you’ll find approximate room dimensions and floor plans for most room types in that building. In addition, there are floor plans and 360-degree virtual tours to see how other students arrange items in their room. If you have additional questions than what can be seen here, please contact us and we’ll get back to you. Please note that there can be some variability among room dimensions within each hall, and it’s not possible for us to catalog every measurement, so we encourage you to wait to purchase too many items until you arrive and see your actual room.

What items should I plan to bring for my room?

On the “Inside Our Rooms” web page, residents can find a detailed list of what is provided in resident rooms, what items to consider bringing (including a printable checklist), what items are not allowed, lofting instructions, and various room measurements for each building. We strongly recommend that residents speak with their roommate(s) during the summer to coordinate on room setup and what they plan to bring, to avoid duplication of large items and electronics.

How should we plan for lofting and furniture setup?

All resident rooms provide furniture that can be lofted or bunked. Residents do not need to bring or purchase any additional equipment or tools for lofting, although a soft mallet can be useful to align the furniture. Furniture can be set up in a variety of arrangements by the resident after they arrive. Housing staff do not pre-loft beds and are not available during move-in to loft beds. If residents would like assistance lofting their bed after move-in, a maintenance request can be submitted after move-in and will be completed in approximately a week. We strongly recommend that residents speak with their roommate(s) to plan a layout that works well for everyone living in the room. Visit the “Inside Our Rooms” web page for lofting instructions and tips.

Can I send packages or items before move-in?

Yes. If necessary, residents can ship packages prior to their move-in date for pick-up. Due to storage space constraints, do not ship large items, and do not ship items more than one week prior to your move-in date. All US Mail and packages are received and distributed by your hall desk. Mail is placed in your mailbox. Packages are logged, placed in storage, and an email is sent to your @wisc.edu account notifying you a package is available for pickup. You must have your Wiscard (or another form of ID) with you to receive your package, but you do not need to print out the email notification. Addresses for each residence hall are available on their individual hall pages.

Sellery Renovation

This is an accordion element with a series of buttons that open and close related content panels.

What is the timeline of the Sellery renovation project?

All major work for the Sellery renovation is expected to be complete before residents move in for the 2023-24 academic year. Some minor finishing work and touch-ups may continue into the Fall semester, with very little disruption to residents. Questions or feedback about the Sellery renovation project can be directed to sellery.renovation@housing.wisc.edu.


This is an accordion element with a series of buttons that open and close related content panels.

Is UW-Madison requiring vaccination against COVID-19?

Vaccination for COVID-19 is not required at UW-Madison, but is strongly encouraged for the health and safety of you and the campus community. The COVID-19 vaccines authorized and approved in the United States remain highly effective, especially against severe illness and death. Booster shots help safely increase protection against infection and severe outcomes in fully vaccinated people. UW-Madison University Health Services (UHS) is providing free COVID-19 vaccination and booster shots to UW–Madison employees and students ages 18 and older by appointment through myUHS.

If you are vaccinated, remember to upload your vaccination status with UHS, including booster vaccines.

What testing resources are available to students?

At-home antigen testing kits continues to be offered at no cost to students and employees. Check the testing website for more information, including test site hours.

Students who are symptomatic and need to see a provider can make an appointment at University Health Services.

I tested positive for COVID-19 with an antigen or PCR test. What should I do?

Students who test positive for COVID are not required to leave their room to isolate; they may isolate in place. However, a limited number of temporary spaces will be available if students do not want to isolate in place. COVID-positive students have the option to use those spaces, stay off-campus, or remain in their room.

Students living in on-campus housing who are sick or have an exposure are encouraged to adhere to self-care practices recommended for other upper respiratory viruses. These include personal hygiene, masking when in spaces where others are present, and resting to allow their bodies to recover. Students who have concerns about staying in their room with a COVID-positive roommate should contact their House Fellow or Residence Life Coordinator to discuss options.

Planning is essential. Due to our limited number of temporary spaces, we encourage students and families to discuss their plans in the event of a positive COVID test or exposure. We recommend an open discussion with roommates regarding each other’s plans before or upon arrival to campus.

What health guidance is there for unvaccinated students?

If you are unvaccinated and testing to monitor COVID-19, here are some additional steps you can take to protect yourself:

  • Continue to wear face coverings in indoor settings and while on public transportation
  • Maintain physical distancing of 6 feet indoors when possible
  • Follow good hand washing practices and use hand sanitizer
  • Avoid touching your face
  • Get tested if you learn that you had exposure to someone with COVID-19 or are experiencing symptoms.

Vaccination is the best way to protect yourself and help our campus to return to normal. We strongly encourage you to get vaccinated if you haven’t already.

I am vaccinated and will have an unvaccinated roommate. Should I be concerned?

Being vaccinated against COVID-19 and up-to-date on booster vaccination provides the greatest level of protection against severe illness and hospitalization from the virus. You also remain much better protected from infection than people who are unvaccinated and people who are fully vaccinated but overdue for their booster. In most instances, an unvaccinated roommate does not pose a major threat to you because of the high effectiveness of COVID-19 vaccines against poor outcomes.

Visit the campus vaccination page to make sure you are current with vaccination guidance, to schedule an appointment to get vaccinated, or receive your booster. Once you have been boosted, make sure UHS has your record on file.

I was vaccinated off-campus, how do I let you know?

If you are being vaccinated off campus, including by a UW Health clinic or by a UW Health provider, wait until you have received either the single dose of a one-dose vaccine or both shots of a two-dose vaccine. Then Upload your record directly to myUHS:

  • Log in to MyUHS using your NetID and password.
  • Select “Enter my COVID-19 Vaccine information.”
  • You will be prompted to upload a copy of your immunization record. This can be an image file (PNG, JPG, JPEG) or a PDF. Attempting to upload other kinds of files will result in an error message. Accepted records include:
    • The official Centers for Disease Control and Prevention vaccination card you receive at your vaccine site. It must contain two patient identifiers, such as name and date of birth; vaccine lot number; vaccine name (for example, Moderna, Pfizer or Janssen/Johnson & Johnson); date of vaccination (there should be two dates for Moderna and Pfizer); clinic name (must be an official clinic name; if the clinic was a chain pharmacy, please include the store number).
    • Your Wisconsin Immunization Registry vaccination record
    • state vaccination record from outside Wisconsin
    • For vaccination outside the U.S., the most complete record you have available. UHS will recognize vaccines maintained on the World Health Organization’s emergency use listing.
  • You will also need to enter the date of your one-dose vaccine and the vaccine manufacturer, or the dates of your two-dose vaccine and vaccine manufacturer in the section labeled “Doses of COVID-19 Vaccine.”
  • Click or tap “Done” when you are finished.

Allow up to five business days for the record to be reflected in your myUHS account. While the record is under review your Medical Clearance information will indicate “awaiting review.” Once it is approved, this field will say “satisfied.” Your Badger Badge will turn green once it has been two weeks since your final dose and your record has been approved.

If you received your vaccination in Wisconsin, and cannot find the record in WIR, contact the WIR Help Desk at 608-266-9691 or email DHSWIRHelp@dhs.wisconsin.gov.

Quarantine and Isolation

This is an accordion element with a series of buttons that open and close related content panels.

Will the residence halls provide isolation and quarantine housing in 2021-22?

Yes, to provide for a responsible community at UW-Madison during the pandemic, University Housing has repurposed designated areas to be quarantine and isolation spaces for residence hall students affected by COVID-19. Students living on-campus who are exposed to COVID-19 or who test positive for the virus have the option of returning to their permanent home for the quarantine or isolation period or being placed in one of these spaces.

What spaces will be used for quarantine and isolation housing?

For 2021-22, we have a limited number of separate spaces set aside on campus and in the Madison area for quarantine and isolation housing. This includes:

  • A small set of apartments in the Eagle Heights community
  • Other spaces in campus/Madison-area hotels if needed to accommodate additional residents

We have worked carefully with campus health experts to select appropriate spaces and carry out this plan in a way that does not create added risk for other residents or the community.

What is the difference between quarantine and isolation?

Quarantine housing is for unvaccinated residents who have been contacted about medium or high-risk exposure to COVID-19, such as the roommate of a COVID-positive student. They are placed in a designated quarantine space for a minimum of 5 days until cleared by UW-Madison University Health Services (UHS) to return to their regular room. Isolation housing is for residents who have tested positive for COVID-19. They are placed in a designated isolation space for a minimum of 5 days until cleared by UHS to return to their regular room.

If I am required to be in quarantine or isolation, how will I continue with my in-person classes?

Students unable to attend in-person class meetings for COVID-19-related reasons (or for any reason) should contact their instructor to discuss options for access to course materials and activities. Instructors are encouraged to be flexible and supportive of students in such circumstances. Students who must miss multiple class sessions should talk with their instructor and with their academic advisor about the best course of action. If multiple students in a course section must miss in-person class meetings for COVID-19-related reasons, every effort should be made to avoid a disruption of in-person instruction. Instructors should work with their department, school, and college to explore ways to provide students who cannot attend in-person sessions access to course materials and activities.

Note: students with a documented accommodation need related to in-person instruction should contact the McBurney Center. The McBurney Center will work with the student and instructor to explore the possibility of reasonable accommodations.

Who will be staying in isolation and quarantine spaces?

All residents who test positive for COVID-19 must leave the residence hall and isolate at home or in designated isolation housing, regardless of vaccination status, until cleared to return by UHS.

If you have had close contact with a person who has tested positive for COVID-19, such as a roommate, your quarantine requirements will depend on your vaccination/booster status, as described below.

  • If you are fully vaccinated and are eligible for a booster dose but are NOT boosted:
    • You need to quarantine and you should schedule a test in MyUHS immediately. You should also test any time you have symptoms of COVID-19 during your quarantine period. If you test and get a positive result, please report a positive test result immediately to University Housing.
    • Due to your vaccination status, you are approved to reside in your current room to self-quarantine, and you must limit your movements to engage only in essential activities. Essential activities include using the bathroom, obtaining food, going to medical appointments, etc. You CANNOT go to class or any other facility on campus unless for essential activities. You are encouraged to take an antigen test on Day 5 to check for viral presence before ending your quarantine on Day 6.
    • You should wear a well-fitting mask around others for 10 days from the date of your last close contact with someone with COVID-19 (the date of last close contact is considered day 0).
  • If you are fully vaccinated and are not yet eligible for a booster dose OR you are fully vaccinated and boosted:
    • You do not need to quarantine. You may reside in your current room and should wear a well-fitting mask around others for 10 days from the date of your last close contact with someone with COVID-19 (the date of last close contact is considered day 0). At any time, if you have symptoms of COVID-19, you should test immediately.
  • If you are NOT fully vaccinated:

I noticed that students in these quarantine and isolation spaces will be able to leave for "essential business". What does this mean?

The international students who are self-quarantining before the start of classes are able to leave for essential business. During the academic year, undergraduates in quarantine and isolation are expected to stay in their apartments until they have been cleared to return to their residence hall community. These students are already required to have a negative COVID-19 test prior to air travel into the U.S., and they have not had any known contact with a positive case. Out of an abundance of caution, they are self-quarantining before moving into their residence hall, which has fewer restrictions than a full quarantine.

In contrast, during the academic year, undergraduates in quarantine and isolation are expected to stay in their apartments/rooms until they have been cleared to return to their residence hall community.

Will students in quarantine and isolation have their own transportation method rather than using the 80/84 bus? These buses tend to be very full during busy periods.

Yes, students will be provided with separate transportation to their quarantine and isolation spaces. They are also able to call for this separate transportation once they have been cleared by UHS to return to their residence hall room. Once their time in isolation and quarantine is complete, they are allowed to utilize public transportation.

Will students in quarantine and isolation also have access to and be using common spaces (such as gyms, laundry rooms, etc.)?

No. Students in quarantine and isolation are expected to limit their time outdoors and remain in their assigned space most of the time except for essential business (work, medical appointments, food, etc.) or in the event of an emergency. No visitors are allowed. When outdoors, students should wear a mask, social distance, and not gather. When exiting the building, they should use the most direct route and only use an elevator one at a time (if available) when needed. Staff will monitor these spaces for adherence to all quarantine and isolation policies.

What precautions are in place to ensure that students in quarantine and isolation spaces are following the guidelines? How will they be reinforced?

All residents are expected to adhere to policies in the Student Housing Handbook. Violations of COVID-related policies can result in the removal of students from their residence hall and revocation of their Housing contract with no refund.

What can I do if I see residents violating quarantine and isolation policies?

The UW-Madison Office of Student Conduct and Community Standards has a form to fill out to report a public health concern. Please be aware that the more specific information is provided, the better we will be able to act on the report.

Are there any back-up plans if the number of student who are in need of quarantine and isolation space exceeds the capacity available? Will buildings in other areas be requisitioned in the future?

We have reached out to additional campus partners and community businesses that could assist with providing additional spaces should that be needed.  If Housing-designated quarantine and isolation spaces become full, residents that are required to quarantine or isolate may need to do so at their permanent home or find their own space off-campus — they may not return to their residence hall or participate in any in-person UW-Madison activities until they are cleared by Housing staff.

If I'm in quarantine, can I return to my residence hall sooner if I get a negative COVID test?

No, students who are quarantined due to close contact with a positive case of COVID-19 must remain in quarantine for the minimum period until they are cleared by UHS. The virus can have an extended incubation period, so quarantined students cannot return to their residence hall earlier, even with a negative test result.

My roommate went to isolation and I want my room cleaned. What can I do?

Time since roommate has been in your room

CDC Recommendations


Less than 24 Hours Clean and disinfect the space Contact your hall desk to radio a Building Supervisor for assistance in cleaning/disinfection
More than 24 hours Cleaning is sufficient; disinfect is optional Check out a cleaning kit from your hall desk to wipe down areas of concern in your room
More than 3 days Nothing additional is needed Check out a cleaning kit from your hall desk to wipe down areas of concern in your room

I’m an Eagle Heights resident. Where can I find answers to questions I might have about isolation and quarantine spaces in my community?

University Apartments has a separate Frequently Asked Question page all about isolation & quarantine spaces in Eagle Heights. You can find additional information on the University Apartments FAQ page.