Sunset at the Memorial Union Terrace

Summer Term Housing

Move Out

Summer Only

Summer term housing residents without a contract for next academic year must check out by Noon on August 12, 2023, unless they are University Housing employees. Moving assistance is not available.

Summer to Fall

Summer term housing residents with a contract for next academic year will move from their summer room to their fall room on August 16, 2023.

Note: Students living in Sellery Residence Hall in the 2023-24 academic year will need to move at a later date that is still to be determined.

Back to top


To live in the UW-Madison University Residence Halls for summer term, you must be an admitted student, enrolled for at least one summer credit, and have a ten-digit campus ID number at UW-Madison. To apply for summer housing, simply fill out an application in My UW Housing. Applications will open beginning March 27, 2023. Housing contracts are offered based on the date of application.

If you do not see a summer application in My UW Housing, contact us at for assistance.

Back to top


wdt_ID Term Check-In Date Check Out Date
1 Interim to 4-week (available only to current residence hall students) May 13, 2023* (moving to summer spaces on May 17) --
2 Early 4-Week May 21, 2023 June 17, 2023
4 8-Week June 18, 2023 August 12, 2023
5 1st 4-Week June 18, 2023 July 15, 2023
6 2nd 4-Week July 16, 2023 August 12, 2023
7 Summer to Fall (available only to residents with a contract for next academic year) August 12, 2023 August 16, 2023

*Students who sign up for the early 4-week and the 8-week sessions will be charged either $28 for a double room or $32 for a single room for the night between the two sessions.

Back to top


wdt_ID Hall/Room Type Interim 4-Week 8-Week Summer to Fall *costs are from Aug. 12 - Aug. 27*
1 Single Room 256 864 1,760 480
2 Double Room 224 756 1,540 420

Note: single rooms will be very limited for summer term housing. Most students will be assigned to double rooms.

Back to top

Summer Housing Boost

UW-Madison Summer Term’s Summer Housing Boost Program can help current undergraduate students cover the cost of living in the residence halls over the summer. Students must:

  • Be currently enrolled as an undergraduate degree-seeking student at UW-Madison.
  • Enrolled at least half-time for the session in which you receive Summer Housing Boost. For example, if you enrolled in the 8-week session you need to be enrolled in at least 3 credits.
  • Submit an online application by the appropriate deadline. The deadline depends on when you want to move into your summer housing.
  • Be eligible to reside in the UW-Madison University Residence Halls.

Apply for Summer Housing Boost

Back to top

Summer Term 2023 Flyer

Summer Jobs

Did you know that students who work for Housing this summer have starting wages of $15/hour, receive a 30% discount on food, and pay only $500 for summer housing? We’re hiring now for a wide variety of summer student positions.

Apply today!

Back to top


University Housing Dining & Culinary Services offers a variety of fresh, healthy, made-from-scratch options in multiple all-you-care-to-eat locations across campus. Have a dietary need or food allergy? We have a registered dietitian on staff who can provide allergy-friendly menus.

Students living in University Residence Halls for the 2023 Summer Term can choose to purchase a Summer Block Meal Plan. Explore the meal plan option to see if it is right for you:

Summer Block Meal Plan


Summer Block Meal Plan


  • Meals expire end of day August 22
  • Guest: summer residents can use meals on a guest to dine with them (redeemable only at Four Lakes & Gordon Avenue Markets)
  • Not available for meal exchanges
  • Not required
  • Subject to summer operating hours of our dining markets
  • Best deal for meals!
  • Out of meals? Summer residents can purchase another meal plan for an additional block of 25 meals on the Wiscard website 

Summer Block Meal Plan FAQs

Back to top

Summer residents who do not choose the summer block meal plan can purchase meals individually at door price with a credit card, debit card, or Wiscard. When paying with your Wiscard, you’ll receive a 5% discount on all purchases.

Back to top

Services & Amenities

Internet & TV

UWNet Internet service is available in all rooms and common areas, including floor dens. High-definition cable TV service with a variety of channels is also available in rooms. To connect a TV, you will need a coaxial video cable. In addition, TV can be watched on an iOS or Android device on campus by downloading the Spectrum U app.

Note: individual student rooms are not equipped with a telephone or landline service.

Back to top


You’ll have easy access to laundry facilities. All washers are high-efficiency for $2.50/load and dryers are free. Simply swipe your Wiscard on the scanner in the laundry room to activate a washing machine. Dryers are available for free.

Back to top

Hall Desk

Each hall’s front desk is open at various hours in the summer to provide residents with information about Madison and campus. The front desk is also available to receive mail and packages and check out items such as laptops, games, movies, tools, and vacuums.

Back to top


Residence Life Coordinators

Residence Life Coordinators are full-time professional staff members who are responsible for supervising House Fellows, promoting involvement and academic success, advising students who plan activities and events, administering disciplinary processes, assisting with problems, and coordinating liaison efforts between facilities, dining, and desk staff as well as other campus partners like the UW-Madison Police DepartmentUniversity Health Services (UHS), and more.

House Fellows

Similar to a Resident Advisor (RA), House Fellows are student staff members with whom you’ll have the most frequent contact. They are available to help answer questions, provide resources, solve problems, enforce UW-Madison and University Housing policies, and more. Look for information about your House Fellow posted in your residence hall and in-room guide when you arrive on campus.

Back to top

Getting Your Wiscard

All registered students at UW-Madison are entitled to a Wiscard (the official UW-Madison photo ID). Your Wiscard allows you to get a summer bus pass and to access other campus services. For information on how to get your Wiscard, contact the Wiscard office.

Back to top

Room Furnishings

Each resident is provided a bed, desk, desk chair, bookshelf, dresser, and closet space. Each room is provided with a small refrigerator, window coverings, wastebaskets, and a mirror. You should bring your own sheets and pillows. Mattress dimensions are 36″ x 80″. Please note that most rooms are set up for double occupancy, so there may be two sets of furniture in your room. We will not be removing any extra furniture.

Note: due to space limitations, storage is not available for summer term housing residents returning to the residence halls next year.

Back to top


UW-Madison Transportation Services, located in the WARF building, operates all campus parking and bicycle/pedestrian services. Due to limited availability, on-campus parking is very rarely granted to students. Most students find that getting around on campus without a car is easy to do, though.


The City of Madison’s Metro Transit offers a number of free bus routes on and around the UW-Madison campus. Anyone can ride these routes without paying a fare or showing an ID. In addition, students enrolled at UW-Madison can get a free summer bus pass good for free rides on all Madison Metro bus routes, allowing you to travel throughout the metro area. These passes are available through the Associated Students of Madison (ASM) Student Print Office located in the Student Activity Center on the third floor at 333 East Campus Mall. All you need to pick up your bus pass is your Wiscard.

Note: It may take a few days after you pick up your Wiscard for your records to show that you are eligible for a bus pass. You may also be delayed until the day your term begins.

Back to top



The UW-Madison Police Department is available during emergencies by calling 911 or 608-264-COPS (2677).


A smoke detector is located in each resident room, hallway, and common area. If the fire alarms off, please proceed to the nearest exit in an orderly fashion.


  • Do not hold open residence hall exterior doors for strangers
  • Lock your door whenever leaving your room
  • If confronted by an individual with a weapon, give up your property immediately
  • Sign-up to receive WiscAlerts to get notifications when there is an emergency situation on campus

Back to top



Broken windows, locks, or other urgent situations like malfunctioning elevators should be reported to your House Fellow or hall desk immediately.


Burnt out light bulbs, window screen replacement, fixes to furniture that is otherwise not causing a hazard, or problems with insects should be reported by submitting a Maintenance Request.

Submit a Maintenance Request

Back to top

Smoke-Free Facilities

Smoking is not permitted anywhere in the University Residence Halls including student rooms and public areas such as dens, hallways, and bathrooms. Smoking is also prohibited outside within 25 feet of any University Residence Hall and/or dining facility.

Back to top

Pardon Our Dust

During the summer, there will be some on-going facility improvement projects. There are a number of developments taking place across campus and we appreciate your understanding and patience as these important projects are completed.

Back to top

Frequently Asked Questions

This is an accordion element with a series of buttons that open and close related content panels.

What do I do if I want to live in the University Residence Halls for Summer Term?

Submit a summer housing application in My UW Housing when it becomes available March 27, 2023. If space allows, you will be sent a Housing contract offer. Please keep in mind this process is first come, first serve. If you complete your contract and submit your advance payment by your individual deadline you will be guaranteed a space for summer term. You will receive your room assignment prior to your arrival.

How much is my advance payment?

A $300 advance payment must be made at the time the University Residence Halls summer term contract is submitted electronically in My UW Housing.

If I am not satisfied with my summer assignment, am I able to request a room change?

No, Summer Term Housing residents are not able to request a room change.

I'm not sure where I want to live for the summer, and I'm considering living off-campus. I figured I better return a housing contract as a backup. Is that allowed?

Please wait until you have made your decision about where to live before you sign a housing contract. Our contract is a legally binding document, which means that we cannot release you to live off-campus. Please take time to consider your options before you make a commitment to live in the University Residence Halls.

Can I get out of the contract if I later decide I want to move off-campus?

No. The contract you are signing is a binding, legal document, so we do not release students to make other housing arrangements. You will be financially responsible for the terms of your contract for the summer term.