A variety of residence hall staff members, both student staff and career staff, work with residents to shape the communities and provide support. University Housing staff are on-site to help, whether you need academic advice, help organizing an event, repairs to your room, or just someone to talk to. We encourage you to seek out staff in your community and get to know them.
House Fellows are student staff members with whom residents have the most frequent contact. Their main responsibilities include:
- Helping residents plan activities and programs to build connections among residents
- Being available and visible to residents
- Acting as a resource and providing information to residents
- Helping residents solve problems or referring residents to a variety of University agencies in order to help solve problems or answer questions
- Enforcing University and Housing policies
- Helping with administrative tasks
Residence Life Program Assistants
RLPAs are student staff members who help coordinate programming in the residence halls. Two RLPAs are assigned to each residence hall community and work together with the House Fellow staff. Their main responsibilities include:
- Advise Hall Organization “Mission Groups” that organize activities and events around priorities such as: diversity-inclusion, academic success, Friday/Saturday night alternatives, sustainability, and other resident interests!
- Support Real Talk dialogues among residents and Gender-Sexuality Alliances (GSAs).
- Supervise Housing tutors, facilitate study groups and organize exam review sessions.
- Develop student leadership through Badger Buddies and Hall Organizations.
Residence Life Coordinators and Area Coordinators
The Residence Life Coordinators and Area Coordinators are full-time professional staff members who are responsible for each hall. Their main responsibilities include:
- Supervising the House Fellow staff in the hall
- Helping to create inclusive communities that promote student involvement and academic success
- Helping students to connect with each other and to get involved in residence hall and campus activities
- Advising students who plan activities and programs
- Educating students about citizenship, healthy decision making, and creating socially just communities
- Administering the Housing and University disciplinary processes
- Balancing the needs and rights of individuals with the rights and needs of the community
- Assisting residents who are having academic, emotional, or interpersonal problems
- Incorporating campus academic programs and services into the hall
- Acting as a liaison to the hall with facilities, food service, and desk staffs
- Coordinating liaison efforts with University Police, the Wisconsin Union, University Health Services, Cross-College Advising Service, Morgridge Center, and other University departments
The Building Supervisor in each hall is the primary contact for Physical Facilities related issues. The Building Supervisor in each hall supervises the custodians and is your contact person for custodial related concerns.
As a member of each house community, the House Custodian is responsible for cleaning the common areas of each house and hall including bathrooms, dens, lounges, hallways, and stairwells.
Director/Assistant Director of Desk Services
The Director/Assistant Directors of Desk Services supervise the student staff members who work at the desk and should be the staff you contact if you have questions, suggestions, or concerns about desk services in your hall. They can be reached at 265-6616 or 262-4323.
Residence Hall Facilities Staff (2nd and 3rd shift)
Second and third shift staff perform general cleaning tasks, make minor mechanical repairs, and perform limited rounds and report unsafe conditions to University Police or other Housing staff. The second shift(3:00 p.m.-11:00 p.m.) and third shift (11:00 p.m.-7:00 a.m.) staff can be contacted through a House Fellow or your hall desk.
Staff Performance Concerns and Compliments
If you have any concerns or positive feedback you would like to share about a Housing staff member, please contact your Residence Life Coordinator, Area Coordinator, or other full time Housing staff member.