Welcome to University Residence Halls! Whether you’re arriving on campus for the very first time with a van full of boxes or simply planning your trip home for a break, we work to make your experience as convenient as possible. Watch this page for parking/traffic info, dining options, desk hours, check-in/out details, and more for each of the major parts of the school year. Full details are posted in the weeks prior to each period when the information becomes available.
December 13, 2019 – January 20, 2020
All University Residence Halls will close for winter break at Noon on Friday, December 20, 2019. Winter Break Housing is an available option during the period between the fall and spring semesters for an additional fee.
Unless you are signed-up for winter break housing, you should vacate your room within 24 hours of your last exam or by Noon on Friday, December 20, whichever is earlier. All University Residence Halls will close at this time and will re-open for the spring 2020 semester at 9am on Saturday, January 18, 2020.
Personal belongings which may be needed during winter break should be taken out of the building. There will not be access to the building during winter break. Other personal items may remain in your residence hall room without signing up for winter break housing as long as you are returning for the spring 2020 semester.
Check bulletin boards for information regarding quiet hours and details specific to your hall. If you have questions, please contact your House Fellow or Residence Life Coordinator.
All UW-Madison offices will be closed on Tuesday, December 24, Wednesday, December 25, Tuesday, December 31, and Wednesday, January 1.
Exam Period Quiet Hours
Please adhere to posted exam period quiet hours in your hall. Violation of the exam period quiet hours can lead to immediate, serious discipline, including removal from the University Residence Halls.
- Note: no overnight guests are permitted during final exam week and during winter break housing (if you are signed-up)
Traffic will be busy around the residence halls before and during winter break. See the below PDFs for parking information specific to your residence hall’s neighborhood.
All hall desks will continue regular hours through Thursday, December 19 and will resume regular semester hours on Monday, January 20. Info Lab equipment check out will end on Sunday, December 15 and will resume on Tuesday, January 21. In addition, please note:
- Your room key should not be turned in if you are returning to your same room next semester
- If you are cancelling out of your contract or moving to a different room, you must turn in your old key before you leave for winter break or you will be charged $50 for a core/lock change
- Mail and packages will NOT be forwarded to your home address during winter break
- Money on your Wiscard will continue through next semester if you are still enrolled at UW-Madison
Checklist to Complete Before Leaving
If you are not signed-up for winter break housing, please complete the following checklist before leaving your room for winter break.
If you need to retrieve anything from storage, contact your hall desk for assistance from 9am – 6pm.
Winter break is a perfect time to report any needed repairs so that Housing staff can fix them while you are gone.
Pack Your Belongings
Did you take what you need during winter break? If you are not signed-up for winter break housing, you will not have access to your residence hall or room during winter break.
- Remember necessary medications, passports, etc.
- Remove plants and fish
- Take your bike home — to allow for snow removal, please do not leave your bike outside on campus over break
- Do not store your moped in your room — it will be removed at a cost to you
Get Your Room Ready
To save on energy costs and be more sustainable, heat in the residence halls will be reduced over winter break to approximately 60 degrees. University Housing will not be responsible for damage to items left in rooms. On your way out the door, please remember to:
- Remove items on or near radiators
- Turn off all lights
- Close and lock all windows and doors
- Empty all trash and recycling containers
- Leave your refrigerator on and plugged in and remove all perishable items — do not defrost
- If your roommate is moving out and not returning next semester, be sure that one bed, bookshelf, closet, desk, and dresser are available so your new roommate can move in and feel welcome. Housing staff will enter your room to inspect for any damages after your previous roommate has vacated. Be sure to check your wisc.edu email account for notification about a new roommate.
Authorized personnel may enter your room over winter break as needed. For further information, see Section 17. Room Entry of your University Residence Halls contract.
Dining locations will return to regular academic year hours on Monday, January 20.
December 14 – 22, 2019
|wdt_ID||Location||Venue||Saturday, 12/14||Sunday, 12/15||Monday, 12/16 - Thursday, 12/19||Friday, 12/20||Saturday, 12/21 - Sunday 12/22|
|1||Four Lakes Market||7 am - 9 pm||7 am - 9 pm||7 am - 9 pm||7 am - 4 pm||CLOSED|
|2||Flamingo Run||10 am - 1 am||10 am - Midnight||10 am- Midnight||10 am - 4 pm||CLOSED|
|3||Bean & Creamery||7 am - 10 pm||7 am - 10 pm||7 am - 10 pm||7 am - 4 pm||CLOSED|
|4||Carson's Market||Noon - 8 pm||Noon - 8 pm||7 am - 8 pm||CLOSED||CLOSED|
|5||Liz's Market||11:15 am - 7 pm||11:15 am- 7 pm||7 am - 7:30 pm||CLOSED||CLOSED|
|6||Late Night||CLOSED||7:30 am - 10:30 pm||CLOSED||CLOSED||CLOSED|
|7||Gordon Ave. Market||7 am - 9 pm||7 am - 9 pm||7 am - 9 pm||7 am - 4 pm||CLOSED|
|8||Flamingo Run||10 am - 1 am||10 am - Midnight||10 am - Midnight||10 am - 4 pm||CLOSED|
|9||Bean & Creamery||6:30 am - 10 pm||6:30 am - 10 pm||6:30 am - 10 pm||6:30 am - 4 pm||CLOSED|
|10||Late Night||5 pm - 1 am||5 pm - Midnight||5 pm - Midnight||CLOSED||CLOSED|
December 23, 2019 – January 10, 2020
Carson’s Market will be open 11 am to 6 pm on Monday through Friday during this period, with the exception of the following dates when they will be closed: December 24, 25, 31 and January 1.
January 13 – 19, 2020
All University Residence Halls will open for the spring semester on January 18, 2020.
- January 13: move-in for new students participating in January SOAR
- January 18 at 9am: all University Residence Halls reopen for all residents to move-in
Traffic will be busy around the residence halls during spring move-in. See the below PDFs for parking information specific to your residence hall’s neighborhood.
March 14 – 22, 2020
All University Residence Halls will remain open through Spring Break without charge. Additional information regarding Spring Break 2020 will be published in February 2020.
May 1 – 10, 2020
All University Residence Halls will close on Sunday, May 10 at 12pm. Additional information regarding Spring Move-Out 2020 will be published in April 2020.
August 29 and 30, 2020 (proposed)
Proposed move-in dates on August 29 and 30, 2020 are subject to change and approval. Additional information regarding Fall Move-In 2020 will be published in Summer 2020.
November 26 – 29, 2020
All University Residence Halls will remain open through November Break without charge. Additional information regarding November Break 2020 will be published in October 2020.