University Housing provides for each resident:
- Desk Chair
- Bookcase or hutch
- Dresser (in Dejope, Leopold, Ogg, and Smith, instead of a dresser, shelves are built into the walk-in closet)
University Housing provides in every room:
- Compact refrigerator (size varies from 2.4 – 3.1 cubic ft.)
- Note: in triples and quads, two refrigerators are provided in rooms
- Window coverings
- Recycling bin
- Cable TV and ethernet connections
Appliances that are not allowed
Please discourage high school graduation gifts of cooking appliances other than a microwave. Extensive food preparation is not allowed in resident rooms for sanitation and fire safety reasons. These restrictions are strictly enforced for the protection of all our residents. The University Residence Halls do not allow:
- Toaster ovens
- Coffeemakers that use a hot plate
- Electric frying pans and grills (including George Foreman Grills)
- Crockpots or slow cookers
- Any appliance with an open heating element or exposed heat source
- Halogen lamps
Items you may wish to bring
In addition to the furnishings provided by University Housing, we encourage you to bring your own belongings to personalize your room. We encourage you to talk with your roommate during the summer and avoid duplication of large items and electronics.
- Students must bring their own bed sheets, blankets, comforters, pillows, and mattress pads
- Mattress sizes are all either 33″ x 80″ or 36″ x 80″
- “Twin XL” sheets fit all beds
- Regular twin sheets with extra deep corners or jersey sheets (t-shirt material) also fit all beds
The University has partnered with Our Campus Marketing to provide a convenient program offering brand new, high-quality, custom sheets for sale that are guaranteed to fit our beds. Value Paks, bathroom essentials, room décor, and more are also available. International students have different delivery options through a unique international linen orders site for their convenience.
Before you move to campus, we recommend that you make a list of your valuable possessions and leave the list at home with your family for reference in case of loss or damage. You should also label these items with your name or initials.
- Smart television
- Carpet or area rug (see your hall’s room layout for details)
- Cell phone (phones and landline phone service are not provided)
- Alarm clock
- Locker lock for lockable drawer
- Plastic food storage containers
Will a futon or couch fit in my room?
One futon or loveseat will fit in many rooms in the University Residence Halls. At least one bed will need to be lofted. If you and/or your roommate are uncomfortable having your bed in an elevated position, you will not have space in your room for a futon or loveseat.
As with all of our loft furniture, your individual setup, as well as the size and shape of your room, will determine what size furniture will fit. Below are general guidelines:
- Sellery and Waters have building block style lofts where your desk, dresser, hutch, and bookcase become part of the lofting unit in the most popular setup — your loft setup will determine your available width, however, a 56″ wide futon/loveseat will fit underneath a lofted bed with most setups using this furniture
- All other residence halls have traditional-style lofts that will accommodate futons/loveseats up to 79″ wide placed underneath a lofted bed
- Some single rooms in Davis cannot accommodate a small futon or loveseat unless the bed is lofted
- Note: Larger futons/loveseats may fit elsewhere in some rooms depending on how your furniture is lofted and arranged
What size carpet should I bring? What size lockable drawer will I have?
The answer to these questions and more is available on each residence hall page under “Dimensions”.
Vacuums and Cleaning Supplies
University Housing provides vacuums for resident use. Vacuums are usually checked out at the desk or from House Fellows, and there may be limits on the times they are available. Be prepared to have your Wiscard (the official UW-Madison student ID) scanned when you check out a vacuum.
In addition, cleaning supplies including brooms, mops, rags, dustpans, and buckets are provided on each floor for your use. Our staff maintains common areas but students are responsible for cleaning their own rooms, including rooms with private bathrooms.