1635 Kronshage Drive | Madison, WI 53706-1203 | Map
172 residents | Mixed coed floors | Double rooms
Opened 2013 | Named after Aldo Leopold
Leopold Residence Hall brings a whole new meaning to sustainable living. Since opening in August 2013, University Housing’s newest residence hall has been home to the GreenHouse Learning Community, which is designed for students interested in thinking, working and living in more sustainable ways – principles that guided Aldo Leopold’s career. This community even has a 1,000 sq. ft. greenhouse on the fourth floor of the building. How neat is that? Leopold earned LEED Gold-level certification in July 2014, which further proves that it’s making a difference in efficiency and environmental quality on campus and in University Housing.
The five-story residence hall is near Lake Mendota, Allen Centennial Gardens, Steenbock Library, and the Natatorium. Leopold residents are also near both Carson’s Market and the Four Lakes Market (two of six dining markets on campus). Efficiency is a theme of this residence hall, as Leopold has rooftop panels to assist with hot water heating, as well as electricity and water consumption monitors throughout the building. Each carpeted resident room is also equipped with a walk-in closet and individual heat and air conditioning controls.